Chapter 39

Adasyn

I paced back and fourth anxiously, listening as Michonne told us about her brief run in with Daryl after Merle just..let her go.

"He said not to let anyone go after him - especially you, Adasyn."

"I don't give a damn what he said," I responded, snatching a gun from the table. "I'm goin' out the-"

The door to the cafeteria of the cell block suddenly slid open and Daryl marched through, completely ignoring everyone as they began to question him, heading straight for the cells. He had this look in his eyes and I knew something bad had happened.

And when a couple more minutes passed and Merle hadn't busted through the door like he had done, I knew exactly what it was.

I dropped my gun back on the table, and took off in the same direction he had gone. When I found him, he was sitting on the floor in his cell, his back against the bunks. He had his head bent down, and I could see his shoulders shaking slightly.

My heart broke at the sight. I wouldn't wish the death of a sibling in this world on anyone. Especially not him.

I sunk down beside him slowly, ever so gently wrapping my arms around his shoulders. To my surprise, he fell over into my side, burying his head in the crook of my neck. Hot tears started splashing against my skin and I held him a little bit tighter as tears of their own formed in my eyes. I said nothing as he continued to cry because there was nothing to say. I just continued to hold him, resting my cheek on the top of his head and rubbing his back gently.

**

"You know," Daryl sighed as I walked over to where he was sitting, on the ground beside his motorcycle. "Merle never did nothin like that his whole life."

"He gave us a chance," I responded, a soft smile on my face. Daryl turned just a bit, shooting me a quick look. I stuck my hand out, wiggling my fingers around as a gesture for him to grab it. He did, and I helped pull him to his feet. His hand gripped mine a bit longer then it should have and it was enough to let me know that he would be okay. And me not letting go was enough to let him know I'd always be there.

I started towards the middle of the courtyard, going to help Beth and Carl load the last of our things into the car, but Daryl grabbed my arm, stopping me.

I spun around and before I knew what was happening his lips were on mine. It was short and simple, but still managed to take my breath away,

"I don't know what's gone happen taday, Ady. But whatever does, I love ya."

I smiled, more than happy to hear those words again. I knew it wasn't something he'd say often, but it felt so good when he did.

"I love you too, Daryl."

Daryl

"Now," Rick whispered. I nodded and tossed a flash bang out into the middle of the halls, right in front of where the Governor and who knew exactly how many of his men were heading. They all jumped back and immediately started screaming as it exploded.

Our people got the signal and started the alarms, sending them all in more panic than before. Shouts rung out all over the place and we shot a few blanks just to give them one more reason to get the hell out of here.

We followed them out of the tombs, making sure they didn't take any sudden detour.

But they didn't. and I watched from the doorway as Glenn, Adasyn, and Maggie all popped up from their spots on the sky walk, all decked out in riot gear as they shot at everyone desperately trying to make an escape. They were shooting at their feet but those idiots didn't realize that.