Chapter 14

Ashlynn

The surgery for Carl had gone well and I had given him one last go round of blood. He stirred in his sleep as Herschel checked his fever and Lori was by his side in an instance. His eyes slowly fluttered open, his gaze flickering around the room.

"A-Ashlynn. You're okay?"

I laughed slightly, placing my hand on his shoulder. "I'm just fine."

"What about Sophia? I-is she okay too?"

I looked between Lori and Rick, Rick quickly coming to my rescue. "She's fine, you get some rest."
He nodded and quickly fell back asleep. The door slung open after that, and a very anxious looking T-Dog stood in the door way.

"They're here."

I caught on quickly and jumped to my feet, pushing through everyone to make my way outside.

"How is he?" I heard Dale ask as the front porch got closer and closer into view.

"He'll pull through. Thanks to Herschel , and his people," Lori responded.

"And Shane," Rick added. "We'd of lost Carl if not for him. "And uh..and Ashlynn as well."

"Excuse me?" I heard Adasyn ask, venom lacing her words. "What did you just say?"

Before anyone else had chance to chime in, I finally made it to the screen door, practically ripping it off the hinges as I tore forward towards my sister. She looked as if she was in shock as I wrapped my arms around her, hers not even functioning enough to return the gesture.

"I'm okay," I whispered, tears threatening to spill over at the sight of my sister. I pulled back to look at her, and she just stood there, unblinking and eyes wide. I went in to hug her again, and this time she reached out for me as well. But instead of hugging me back, her hands connected with my chest and she shoved me back - hard.

"What the hell Ashlynn!" She screamed, still staring back at me with that wide eyed expression, her hands as well as her bottom lip trembling. "I've been driving my damn self crazy looking for you. I thought I had lost my last damn sister - you know that!? Instead you-you've been holed up here the whole time!?"

"It's not like that," I quickly said, stumbling over my words. This has not been the reaction I had been expecting at all.

"Then what the hell are you doing here!" She snapped.

"I've been unconscious for the past 2 days you asshole," I spat, angry that she hadn't even given me a chance to explain myself.

"Unconscious?" She asked, her expression softening a bit.

"Yea, Adasyn. Unconscious. When Sophia and I were trying to make our way back we got surrounded by a few walkers, I tripped and hit my head, knocked me out cold. Maggie just so happened to find me. I had a concussion and I literally didn't wake up until right after Rick bust through those doors with Carl. I'm just now getting my energy back."

"She's right," Maggie but in. "Plus she gave blood for Carl when he needed it and Rick couldn't afford to give anymore. We haven't let her go anywhere."

"What about my Sophia?" Carol asked timidly. I looked over at her and a tidal wave of guilt flooded through me. I hadn't even thought about what I would say to her before now. She must be here too, is she okay? I need to see her."

I shook my head, "C-carol I..When I hit my head I blacked out..Maggie found me and brought me here. When I woke up she ..she hadn't..she hadn't seen Sophia."

"You're telling me my little girl is still out there?"

"Carol I- I'm so sorry --"

"I hope you loose everything you love in this world," she spat, tears spilling over her eyes. "You couldn't even manage to protect an innocent child."