Chapter 9

Adasyn

All of the guys with the exception of Dale and Daryl took off towards the basement to try and find out more on the generators while the rest of us retreated to our rooms. I had still been in a pair of sweats and a tank top when we got the shitty news busted to us, so I dug around in storage and found some more clothes to wear. I didn't exactly wanna go back to the dirty, blood stained and torn ones I came in with.
There wasn't much, so I settled for a pair of jean shorts and a t shirt. I was in the bathroom, tying up my hair up when the lights suddenly shut out. I stepped out of the bathroom, Ashlynn already heading to the hallway, so I rushed to catch up with her.
Everyone else had beat us out already, and we all watched as Jenner marched down, a determined look on his face.

"Why are the lights off?" Carol asked. "And the air?"

"Energy use is being prioritized," Jenner replied, not bothering to stop.

"Air isn't a priority, or lights?" Dale asked.

"It's not up too me. Zone 5 is shutting itself down."

"Hay!" Daryl shouted, taking off after him, the rest of us following suit. "Tha' hell does that mean? How can a building do anythang ?!"

"You'd be suprised."

We reached the area of Zone 5 that held all the computers and Jenner immedietly started clicking away on the same one he had been on earlier. "The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second, that started as we approached the half hour mark. Right on schedule." He took a large swig of wine out of the bottle sitting on the desk before handing it to Daryl. "It was the French."

"What?" Andrea asked.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways they stayed in the lab until the end.They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened?" Jacqui asked.

"Same thing that's happening here," Jenner responded. "No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel I mean how stupid is that?"

"Everyone grab your things!" Shane demanded. "We're getting out of here now!"

Before anyone could leave the room a loud alarm started blaring and Jenner blocked off the entrance."Did you just lock us in?" Glenn panicked. "Guys he just locked us in!"

"Ya son of a bitch!" Daryl screamed charging across the room, heading for Jenner. "You locked us in here!" Just as Daryl grabbed on to Jenner's collar, T-Dog and Shane grabbed him yanking him back.

"Jenner open that door now!" Rick yelled.

"There's no point, everything topside is locked down, the emergency exits are sealed."

"Well open the damn things then!" I yelled.

"That's not something I control, the computers do. I told you once that front door closed it wouldn't open again, you heard me say that. It's better this way."

"What is?" Rick asked "What happens in twenty eight minutes?"

Jenner turned, typing on the computer , and Rick kicked the back of his chair "What happens in twenty eight minutes!?"

Jenner jumped up from his chair,  "Do you know what this place is? We protected the public from some very nasty things! Weaponized small pox! Ebola strains that could wipe out half the country! Stuff you don't want getting out ever!" He collected himself and sat back down in his chair. "In the event of a catastrophic power failure, in a terrorist attack for example. H.I.T.'s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out."