Chapter 12

Ashlynn

My eyes slowly fluttered open and I was met by an immediate ray of sunshine. There was a strong throbbing in my head as I sat up, slowly taking in my surroundings. I was laying on a nice bed in a very tidy room. I was in the same pair of blue jeans and blood stained shirt that I had been in the past couple of days - so that was something .
My eyes followed the tube attached to my arm and I noticed an IV bag hanging on the bed post. Memories from the last time I was awake started coming back to me and I suddenly got a sinking feeling in my gut. And it wasn't just because I was in a weird place. "Sophia," I whispered. I ripped the IV from my arm and jumped to my feet.

Wrong move.

The room started spinning and I fell to my knees quickly, knocking a few things off the bedside table in the process as I tried catching myself. I took a deep breath, squeezing my eyes shut as tight as I could and tried to stand up once more.

"Come on," I spat as my knees started wobbling again. I managed to stop myself from falling this time and made my way back on the bed, my eyes still shut to block the dizzyness.

"You've got a pretty pad concussion. The dizzyness is from the loss of blood and the fact that you don't look like you've had much to eat lately."

I opened my eyes and saw a girl with short brown hair making her way towards me.

"Back the hell up," I spat, reaching for my knife. But of course, it wasn't there.

Damn.

"Calm down," she said. "We ain't gonna hurt ya. If we wanted to do that I would've just left ya in the woods when I found ya."

"Where's Sophia?" I asked.

"Who?"

"Damn it! Sophia! The little girl that was with me!"

I tried standing up once more and she grabbed my arm, ushering me right back down. "You're weak. You need to take it easy."

"Look lady," I sighed. "I need to see Sophia. She's probably scared out of her mind right now."

"The names Maggie - Maggie Greene. And about this Sophia person, well I don't know. You were alone when I found you in the woods. Probably would've been creep bait if I wouldn't have found ya when I did."

The sinking feeling in my gut grew, "Y-you mean...there was no little girl with me? What the hell happened out there?"

"Like I said we aren't sure. I came across ya, and you were out cold. I thought you were dead at first but I decided to check anyways, just in case. You were breathin', but there was a lot of blood. After makin' sure you weren't bit, I managed to get you awake enough to get you on tha' horse. I brought you here and daddy fixed you up best he could. You've been out for a couple days now."

"Oh my god," I said, tears brimming in my eyes. "I have to find her. She's just a girl, a little timid one at that. I have to go find her."

I tried standing up once more and just like before, Maggie grabbed my arm. She didn't force me to sit back down this time though, only steadied me. "Let's get some food in you and maybe some fresh clothes, and then we'll talk about finding her."

"No you don't understand I-"

"You can't do anything if you're weak. Come on now. I promise, you're safe here. And when you get your strength back we'll find your little girl. I'm sure she's just fine."

"She ain't my little girl," I mumbled, allowing Maggie to lead me out of the room. I could hear whispering echoing through the silent halls as we rounded the corner, leading into a spotless and well kept kitchen. Two figures were hunched over the kitchen table, and as I stepped into view a little more my heart race picked up at the sight of them.