II

*Rian*

Anima. The first word to pop in my head when I saw the girl. I didn't know how I knew she was my anima, my soulmate of sorts. She clearly was oblivious to the fact. Maybe it was the way my body reacted: heart jumping in my throat, sweat slicking my palms, and the desperate urge to step closer to her. It had felt like a childhood crush on steroids. In short, it felt awesome.

As I strode out of my bedroom and into the living area, my thoughts rushed about all the ways I could get to know her better. I didn't even know her name! A smile clung to my mouth. The girl was beautiful. Although I never thought my mate would be short in a million years considering my own staggering height, I suddenly liked the idea. Her eyes were her best feature, hands down. Hazel gems to contrast her fair skin and to match the band of freckles draped across her nose and cheekbones.

"Are you ready?" Thea, my older sister, asked.

"Uh..." I struggled to pull myself from my thoughts. "Oh, the play. Yes, I'm ready."

"We need to leave now or we'll be late," she said, swinging her massive designer handbag over her shoulder. The motion was so human it stunned me. "Michael will be furious if we're late."

Recovering from the surprise, I nodded. I had only moved to Tidy Heights two days ago and hadn't yet adjusted to humans again.

"Grab his watch, would you?" Thea started for the garage door. "I'll start the car."

My eyes followed for a moment. How would I tell her I found my anima? Eventually, I'd have to. When a wolf found his anima, it meant his life was really beginning. We only managed to survive until then. But Thea wasn't a wolf. She couldn't understand, and I was ninety-nine percent certain she would tell me to return to Oregon if I explained it to her.

"Rian!" my sister shouted.

"Coming!" I yelled back, feeling like we were kids again when she used to boss me around.

The watch was on the kitchen island, so I quickly scooped it up and headed for the door. My thumb felt an embossment on the underside of the watch. While I continued to head towards the garage, I lifted the watch into the light so I could read it.

Alpha Rian Whitewater