XXXVIII

*Rian*

Titus started getting out of the car before I stopped him.

"If I need to make her fall in love with me enough to travel across the country by the end of the week," I said, "then you can't come in. You ruin the mood."

"You expect me to just sit in the car all night?"

Rolling my eyes, I pushed open my car door. "This won't take all night."

"Don't rush for my sake, please," he cooed, pretending to bat his eyelashes.

"Go take a walk, you pansy." I got out of the car and started for Faye's front door.

Although I didn't look back, I heard him slam the car door and take off down the street. Good. The night air might help get his head screwed back on straight.

Within seconds after I'd rapped on the door, Faye opened it. I immediately noticed how off her smile was. Something was wrong. My gut twisted uncomfortably at the thought.

"Hi," she greeted softly.

"Hey." I stepped closer to her, needing to touch her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, forcing her smile to stretch a little wider. "Let's talk out here."

My heart skipped as Faye closed the door behind her and brushed my chest on her way to the porch swing. She eyed me expectantly once she'd seated herself.

"What's wrong?" I insisted.

"Come sit," she said, patting the space beside her.

I reluctantly obeyed. It was ironic that she was bossing me around and I was letting her. Even my Alpha struggled to do that.

"Nothing is wrong." Her eyes turned down at her lap, avoiding my gaze. "My mom is just having a moment. She misses my dad."

We swung slowly in silence while I considered an appropriate response. Wrapping my hand around hers, I cleared my throat.

"It must be difficult for both of you," I whispered.

She nodded. "It is. Some days are easier than others."

"When does he come back?"

"End of August."

"I'm sorry, Faye. I wish there was some way I could help."

The tiny smile hugging her lips was genuine while she replied, "I know you do. I appreciate your support."

"Of course. You'll always have my support."

Her body sagged with a sigh. "So, where's Titus?"

"Out and about," I said, shrugging. "I told him to leave us alone."

"Did you two have fun? Do anything fun?"

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and pulled her into my side. Her scent put me at ease, making me feel like I was home again. "We went to that barbecue place you recommended. It was good. Then we walked around the river for awhile while he complained about how much he misses Sarah."

"Who's Sarah?"

"His anima."

"Oh." Faye nestled her face against the side of my chest. "Why didn't she come with you guys?"

"Well," I answered slowly, "Alpha didn't give her permission."

I left out the part about how this trip is supposed to be short-term, which is why Sarah wasn't supposed to come.