XXII

*Rian*

I didn't know how much longer I could wait. Every time I saw her, the urge to make her mine intensified. The claim would take just seconds, one quick bite. But Faye wasn't ready. She was so innocent. I couldn't imagine taking away her blissful ignorance like that. Bringing her into my world felt wrong.

"You got a bite," Faye remarked, drawing me from my thoughts.

My eyes flickered away from her face to the fishing line. It was taut and moving against the current.

"I didn't know you fished," I told her, flashing a smile.

"I don't enjoy it, but I know how. I couldn't grow up on the coast and not know."

"You don't have to stay if you don't enjoy this." I started reeling the line in while waiting and hoping she would choose to stay.

Faye shrugged and joined me as I got to my feet. "I'm not staying for the fish."

My pulse fluttered. "Really? I heard they're good kissers."

Rolling her eyes, she said, "Maybe you should test that theory."

I'd much rather be kissing you, I thought to myself. The notion surprised me. I wasn't the romantic type. Must have been the anima kicking in.

The green bass flopped around on the dock until I wrestled the hook out of its lip. I nodded at Faye.

"Why don't you return him?" I suggested.

"I'll pass."

"Does it freak you out?" My smile was teasing.

"Shut up," she grumbled with a grin. Her grip slipped on his scales a few times until she managed to push him back into the water.

"Good job."

Her eyebrows were raised with mischief when she turned to me.

"What?" I demanded warily.

"Oh...do you like that shirt?" She gestured to my cotton tee.

"Maybe. Why?"

Her mouth stretched into a full smile. "I just think it would look a little better with fish slime."

Before I could react, Faye's hands were latched onto my shoulders, smearing the slime on my shirt. My mouth fell open. She gauged my response carefully, still smiling. Two weeks ago, my temper would've brought out an angrier side of me. Yet those sparkling hazel eyes and wry smirk melted every inkling of anger.

"Oh yeah?" I quipped. "And you know how I can make your outfit better?"

"How?" Her smile dared me.

In the blink of an eye, I had her little body draped over my shoulder. She shrieked in laughter and squirmed in my arms.

"Put me down, Rian! Put me down!"

Grinning, I strolled over to the edge of the dock and pulled her down in my arms so we were eye to eye. Our faces only lingered inches apart. The urge to claim her washed through me again, but I fought it, nearly taking everything in me to do so.

"I hope you can swim," I said.

"You wouldn't!" She gasped.

"Or would I?"

"Rian..." Her eyes had grown wide. "I don't like to swim. Please don't—"

Too late. We were plunging into the cool water before those tempting eyes could ruin my payback. The moment the water swelled around us, Faye shot out of my arms. When I surfaced, she was clutching the side of the dock.

She was purely irresistible. No matter how piercing her glare was. Her wet hair matted along the side of her head and black streaks of makeup circled her eyes. She pinched her lips to complete the look.

"I'm going to kill you," she muttered. "As soon as I get out of this river."

I laughed.

She turned her back on me and attempted to lift herself onto the dock. Her arms were trembling. It was an entertaining event to watch. She sunk back into the water with a sigh.

"I need to go to the gym," she grumbled.

"You can come with me."

That offer earned me a death stare.

"Here," I said, swimming up to her, "let me give you a boost."

"I am perfectly capable of doing this myself."

Stubborn are we? The ends of my lips curled up. I could appreciate a little spunk.

Faye tried a second time. And a third time. Then she finally turned back to me.

"Alright. Fine." She took a deep breath. "I need help."

"Excellent," I purred, moving to her once more.

Her breath caught when I gripped her waist. A tingle rushed through my body. How much longer would I have to wait? I reminded myself to be patient. This was going to be a slow process.

"One," I counted, "two, and three."