IX

*Faye*

The rest of my Saturday passed uneventfully. I called Kate to check on her brother, but she didn't pick up. Rhonda texted me, saying she'd gotten grounded for not doing her chores, so the sleepover was off. By four o'clock that afternoon, I was prepared to watch movies by myself.

I was still trying to decide which movie to start with when my mom emerged from her bedroom. Her hair was a total mess, sticking out in a million different directions. A chuckle rumbled out of me.

"Whatcha up to, Faye?" she asked, yawning. She usually had to sleep to make the migraines go away. They got pretty nasty sometimes.

"I'm gonna watch a movie." I patted the space beside me. "Wanna join me?"

She stretched. "How about we go out for a movie? Treat ourselves to some popcorn and soda?"

"Really?"

"Sure."

Excitement oozed through my body while I beamed. "Okay! I'll look up the times."

"Great. I'll go change."

I squealed. We hadn't been to the movies in ages.

Once I found a movie we both agreed on, we left the house. My body was tingly with zeal. I couldn't remember the last time I'd been so pumped about anything.

The movie theater was packed. My mom waited in line for our tickets while I grabbed a bucket of popcorn and a large Coke for us. When I turned away from the counter, arms full, I nearly bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry!" I said as my eyes lifted to the almost-victim. "Thea?"

A smile spread across her face. "Hey, Faye. What're you doing here?"

My mouth opened and closed until I found proper words. "I'm here with my mom. We're having a girls' night of sorts."

"Terrific." She smiled at me. "This is my boyfriend, Dave."

"Hi there," I greeted the huge man standing beside her. He was so quiet that it was easy to not notice him.

Dave nodded politely at me and wrapped his arm around her waist. They were cute together.

"Well, enjoy your movie," I told them.

"You, too." Thea flashed me another smile.

We parted ways and I met up with my mom again. She handed my ticket over and tossed a few pieces of popcorn in her mouth.

"Who were those people?" she asked.

"Who?" I didn't know why I was feigning innocence.

"That couple you were just talking to."

"Oh." I wet my lips, wondering why I was nervous. "She's one of our neighbors. She and her brother live in that white house towards the end of our street."

Her nod and pursed lips were filled with skepticism. "The people we've never met."

"Yep."

"And they're brother and sister?"

"Well, that was Thea and her boyfriend. But Thea lives with her brother, Rian."

"Don't you think that's a little...strange? Two adult siblings living alone together?"

I shrugged. "A little. They seem normal enough. I just assumed he's been through something and needed to get back on his feet. I don't think it's a permanent thing."

Our conversation quieted as we strolled into the cinema and the film rolled. Unfortunately, the action movie I'd been so excited to see couldn't hold my interest the way my rushing thoughts were. My mother's doubts made me question what I had learned so far about the mysterious yet adorable new neighbor.

Who was Rian really? Where had he come from? What did he do for a living? Did he even have a job? Was he a recovering addict of some kind, and that was why he was with his sister?

Don't be so harsh, I scolded myself. Give him the benefit of the doubt. For now.

The next time we spoke, I would do a better job at investigating. I'd make sure of it.