XXXI

*Faye*

All of my hopes deflated as I parked my car back in the driveway. I'd been hoping that going to church and seeing Kate and Rhonda would help with my angst. Nothing helped.

Even though he hadn't reached out to me since last night, Rian's car was still in his driveway. So he was home, he just wasn't coming after me. That should've relieved me. It didn't.

While I sunk down onto the sofa in the living room, I closed my eyes and organized my thoughts. Rian was a wolf. I hated wolves because they were dangerous, because they tried to take innocent lives. But I didn't hate Rian. I wanted him far, far away from my family. Yet somehow I didn't hate him.

I should have hated him. He was going to bite me! Why was that not sinking into my brain? Rian was just as dangerous as the wolf who'd attacked Chelsea. Except Rian was worse, because he hid in sheep's clothing.

My idiocy was baffling. All along I'd known something was different about Rian. He was special but not in the way I'd expected. Why didn't he come off as more predatory? Why didn't I notice hunger in his body language? Maybe because the signs were never there.

If the signs were never there, then Rian was either very good at hiding his true identity or he never intended on attacking me in the first place. Either way, it shouldn't have mattered. I couldn't see him again. Not only because he repulsed me, but also because he would eventually hurt someone I loved.

Wolves always did. They were wild animals, after all.