XXXII

*Rian*

Everyone was waiting for me when I returned to the pack neighborhood. Someone would think I was royalty the way they all stared. Ignoring them, I charged straight into my father's house, pushing through the wolf door with my snout. I felt better after going for a run. My temper had settled again.

After I'd shifted back into my human form, I entered the bathroom connected to my bedroom. I showered off the sweat and dust before changing into a pair of basketball shorts, one of the few pairs I hadn't yet shredded.

Titus knocked on my door. His scent gave him away.

"What do you want?" I growled.

"Just to talk," he answered.

I rolled my eyes and crossed to the window overlooking the street. "Come in."

He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. Silence pervaded the room. I had no intention of speaking first.

"So you met your anima, huh?" Titus asked. One of his brows was raised when I turned to face him.

"Mhm." I crossed my arms.

"That's why you're so edgy. You know how I get when I'm away from Sarah too long."

I hadn't considered that yet. It made sense, though. We weren't supposed to be away from our animas; they brought out the better side of us, and our better sides made the world a safer place.

"Did you mark her?" he inquired, dark eyes twinkling in humor.

"No."

"Really? How long did you know her?"

"A week."

Eyes widening, Titus gaped. "Why did you wait so long?"

"Because she's human," I muttered, hoping he'd shut up already.

"So, what? Nobody waits that long."

"It's not what you think, Titus." I turned my back to him. "She's innocent. I wanted to wait..."

"You, Rian Whitewater, wanted to wait? I don't believe it." His incredulity was not appreciated.

I whirled around on him. "Yes! She deserves better than this!"

After staring at me for a moment, he doubled over with laughter. My temper was struck again.

"What?" I demanded.

"It's just..." He tried to catch his breath. "It's just...she's got you wrapped around her finger, doesn't she? I've never seen you like this."

"Yeah, well. I don't know what to do about it," I admitted. Faye's face appeared in my mind and eased my exasperation. "I tried to mark her last night, or whenever it was, but she caught me."

Titus stepped closer, face drawn together in disbelief. "She caught you? Like she didn't let you?"

"Yep. She felt my canines and shoved me off." I let my guard down, knowing someone needed to know what happened and that Titus was a good listener. "That's not even the weird part. She said she knew what I was."

"And she's human? That's bizarre. Have you looked into her family history? Maybe she has pack blood."

I shook my head. "No. She was scared and angry. If she was related to wolves, she wouldn't have been so scared. She would know that just because we look like monsters doesn't mean we are."

We were both quiet again. I needed to know why she was terrified of me. Had something happened to her? That was the only conclusion I could draw based on what I knew.

"Well, you need to complete your Alpha training," Titus reminded me, crashing through my contemplation.

"Why would you—" I started, furious.

"But," he forcefully added, "you also need your anima. Since Alpha won't risk you returning to Tidy Heights, maybe he'll let someone bring her here."

I shot him a dark look. "I'm not kidnapping her."

"You wouldn't be kidnapping her. Alpha would probably make Michael do it," he said with a laugh. "You should start exercising your right as rising Alpha—"

"Michael is NOT going anywhere near her," I hissed. "Where is that—"

"Chill. Rian, no one is taking your girl if you don't give permission."

Give permission. He made it sound like I was already Alpha.

I took a deep breath. "Did he go back to Tidy Heights?"

Titus gave a curt nod. "Don't let him mess with you. He was just doing what Alpha ordered."

"He knocked me out!" I bristled, wanting to wrap my hands around my cousin's neck all over again. "He'll be lucky if he survives our next encounter."

"Now you're just letting your ego talk."

"You want me to show you how getting knocked out feels?" I snarled, moving towards him.

Chuckling, he raised his hands in surrender. "I'll pass. Anyway, just consider what I said."

"About kidnapping Faye?"

"She's your anima, dude. Eventually, she'll come around. She has to. Fate says so."

I rolled my eyes. My faith in fate hadn't been so high lately, seeing how Faye shut me out and then my pack abducted me.

"Maybe I'll just go back and get her myself," I grumbled.

"Alpha won't let you. You know that."

Shrugging, I glared at my friend. "You're right about one thing: I need to start exercising my Alpha dominance more."