XIX

*Faye*

"She has this dramatic flare," I said, mostly for my benefit.

"I'm sure it's no big deal," Rian remarked as he cut the engine. "She's just protecting you."

Clearing my throat, I mumbled, "You'll just have to cough up your social, birth certificate, and your mother's maiden name."

He laughed.

"You'll wish I'm joking." I opened the door and stepped out. My heart was pattering nervously like a hummingbird.

We walked towards the front porch side by side. I liked Rian a lot, and it would be a shame if my mom ran him off. Which she probably would. She wouldn't be mean about it or anything. Just very personal. And I knew she'd freak when he admitted his age.

"Take a deep breath," Rian told me at the front door. His eyes gave away the lie in his next words. "I can handle myself. Don't worry."

Great. I twisted the brass knob and pushed the door open. My mom cheerily sung my name from the kitchen, dragging me towards her like some dreadful gravity. Rian stayed close to me, never ahead or too far behind. His eyes seemed to study every inch of our home.

"Well, hello there." My mom smiled politely at the guest. "What's your name?"

"Rian," he said, holding up a hand for her to shake.

"Do you have a last name, Rian?"

"Yes, Mrs. Derby," he replied with a dimpled grin. "Whitewater."

She turned to the kitchen cabinets to retrieve a glass. "Would you like a glass of water?"

Rian offered a curious glance at me. I shrugged, pretending like I wasn't nervous enough for the both of us. He accepted the offer and watched as she moved to the fridge to fill the glass.

"Aren't you going to say hello to me, too?"

We both jumped. Rian spun around first, recognizing the direction of the sound before me. My mom's laptop was propped open on the marble countertop and Skype was pulled up. The cheeky grin on my dad's face instantly invoked a blush from me.

"Dad?" I demanded. "What are you...What is going on?"

"Your mom told me you went out with a boy," he said simply. "Whether or not I'm six thousand miles away, I wanted to get a look at your first boyfriend."

My mouth fell open. "He's not my—"

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Derby," Rian interrupted me.

"You, too, Rian. Now, how old are you? You look a little old to be going to high school."

I started to object before my cute yet annoying companion stopped me. He didn't know how my parents were. They would embarrass me to no end.

"I don't attend high school, sir." Rian pulled a friendly smile across his face. "I'm twenty."

My dad blinked a few times, shocked. A choking noise drew my gaze. My mom was staring at Rian through wide eyes.

Here we go, I thought glumly.

"Twenty?" she cried.

"Relax, honey," my dad told her. "You and I are two years apart."

She blew out a sigh. "But Faye is so young...and innocent."

"I have no ill intentions, I promise," Rian assured her.

"How did you two even meet?" Everyone noticed how she disregarded his sentiment.

"I almost ran him over with my bike a few days ago."

My dad chuckled. "Sounds about right."

We all laughed, even my mom.

"Well, I think that's enough of an interrogation for now," I declared after the humor settled.

"But we were just getting acquainted!" my dad protested, puckering his lip.

"Guess you'll just have to fly home to meet him then, Dad, won't you?" I grinned.

"I'll be home soon, Faye. I love you."

"I love you, too."

My mom scooped up her laptop and headed for her bedroom. "It was nice to meet you, Rian. I hope we didn't scare you off already."

"Not yet, Mrs. Derby. I'm not going anywhere."

Butterflies erupted in my stomach. I would prefer it very much if he never went anywhere.

Once my mom disappeared into her room, I took a deep breath and faced Rian. His sapphire eyes were softened from the upward curve of his lips.

"Can I walk you out?" I asked. "Preferably before someone else says something embarrassing?"

He chuckled softly. "I find them endearing."

Rolling my eyes, I led the way to the front door. "They were on their best behavior. I can't believe my dad was there! She didn't even warn me."

"That's okay. It turned out well."

I wanted to complain, but he wanted to be all optimistic. Ugh.

Rian faced me again when we stepped out on the front porch. "So...I'm your first boyfriend?"

Oh my. This question already? Kill me now. I took a deep breath. Act cool. Act cool. You are so not cool. Oh well.

"Uh," I stalled, avoiding his gaze, "yep. I didn't know...so you're my...?"

"Boyfriend?" he guessed. "If your dad says so, I don't see why not."

"It just seems so fast." I shook my head. "Maybe not. I'm new at this whole relationship thing."

His smile made my skin flush. "So am I."

"Really?"

"I never really had...time to date before."

"Oh." I'd expected him to be at least a little more experienced than me.

"Anyway, I should be going," Rian told me, sighing.

Although I didn't want him to go, I wasn't sure what to say to make him stay. So I awkwardly stared at him instead.

"Goodnight, Faye." He smiled a little, but it didn't seem genuine. "I'll text you later?"

"That sounds nice."

My heart slowly returned to normal as I watched him cross the yard to his car. Something felt different in me. Rian wasn't like any guy I'd ever met. Not the selfish, cocky jerks nor the impotent, shy introverts I was so familiar with.

It was good that he was different, because so was I. Normal guys weren't interested in me, nor I in them. Rian Whitewater was special. I didn't yet know why, but I hoped to find out soon.