LVI

*Rian*

Admittedly, I wasn't thrilled with the idea of my girlfriend wearing my mother's clothes. But I should've known Faye would blow my expectations out of the water. She never failed to. This certainly wouldn't be the first.

She emerged from my parents' bedroom shortly after disappearing into it. The black, floral dress fitted her top half more tightly before flaring out at the waist. Even though it was mostly loose, her supple, rounded curves couldn't be concealed. I didn't realize I was gawking until my mother cleared her throat.

"It feels a little long, since your mom is so much taller than me," Faye said, blushing as she refused to meet my gaze

"It feels a little long, since your mom is so much taller than me," Faye said, blushing as she refused to meet my gaze. "But what'd you think?"

"I think..." I couldn't believe I was actually struggling to speak, to breathe even.

"You have him all tongue-tied, Faye," my mother teased. "That's a good sign. I'll see you two lovebirds at the Pit."

I nodded to acknowledge my mother's words, but I didn't dare tear my eyes away from Faye. My body moved to hers, like a magnet drawn by some unseen force. She smiled when I directed her gaze towards mine.

"I'm starting to rethink this whole party thing," I told her. "We can stay in and watch movies, if you want."

"Really?" Her eyes actually brightened.

"Sure. If you stay in that dress and let me kiss you."

Grinning, she rolled her eyes. "Come on, wolf boy. I didn't just put heels on for no reason. You better take me out."

My eyes flickered down to her feet. Little pink toenails poked out from a pair of black wedges. "Your first time wearing heels around me, I might add."

"Yeah," she grumbled, "so you better catch me when I trip."

"Of course." I kissed her forehead, her nose, and finally her lips. "I'm not letting you go even once tonight. Not a chance."

Her chuckle seemed forced while she smoothed out the chest of my shirt. My heart beat a little faster, and she took a hold of my collar.

"Let's go get some food, shall we?" she asked, sticking out a glossed lip.

At this point, I would kiss Faye's feet if she wanted me to. I took her hand and headed for the front door.

"My offer to stay in still stands..."

"Nope. Not this time."

I scoffed. "Okay. Next time then."

This laugh was more genuine. "Next time," she agreed.

The Pit was raging by the time we got there. A large crowd already surrounded it, red solo cups and beer bottles in hand. Somewhere nearby a radio played pop music. Faye's grip on my fingers tightened.