XVIII

*Rian*

I smoothed down my hair again before pulling the gear in reverse. A nervous tingle had started in my palms since Faye had texted me an hour ago. Our relationship was finally advancing. Most wolves didn't have to wait so long to be with their animas. It came naturally to most. Not with humans, though. Nothing came naturally with them.

The tingle in my hands dewed into sweat when I pulled up in front of her house. I couldn't recall the last time I'd felt nervous. About anything.

Faye stepped outside as I retrieved my phone to call her. She smiled shyly and hurried down the driveway. When I got out to open the passenger door for her, her scent rushed into my nostrils. An anxious tremor developed in my hands.

"You look nice," I said.

"Thanks." Faye smiled at me, her eyes moving over my face.

Once she was seated and her door was closed, I straightened my tee and headed back to the driver door. I hoped I wouldn't screw this up. A nervous me wasn't a me I recognized, so it wasn't something I knew how to control. At least my impulsive, reckless wolf side could be anticipated.

"How was school?" I asked as the car purred into drive.

"Um..." Her gaze burned into the side of my face. "Good, I think."

"You think?"

"I already forgot." She shrugged. "What did you do today?"

I took a deep breath. "I've been looking for work."

So maybe a little white lie couldn't kill her. I'd spent most of the day pacing my bedroom just to keep myself from going to her. Ever since I'd transitioned last night, the craving to go back had been burning away within me. Seeing Faye brought the first drop of reprieve all day, like cool water to a parched throat.

"What kind of work?" she asked softly, turning her eyes out the window.

"Ah, security. That's the only experience I have."

The fib came with shocking ease. It was partly true, though. Most of my teen years had been spent defending Whitewater territory back in Oregon. I did know security. Just not professionally.

"That's...interesting." Faye smiled to herself, thinking I wouldn't notice.

"That's what happens when you don't get an education," I teased.

"Tell me about it. My parents like to remind me of the fact every day."

I stole a glance at her. I'd been such an idiot. She was a senior in high school. The next step would be college. Why hadn't I considered that? Did she have plans to leave for college? Was she leaving Tidy Heights?

"Are you going?" Clearing my throat, I clarified, "To college, I mean? Are you going to college?"

Faye wet her lips. "Yep. I got accepted to Tutor."

My heart restricted painfully. "Is that near Tidy Heights?"

"Ah, no." Her chuckle was airy and slightly embarrassed. "It's a few hours away."

"I see."

Seriously, why her? Why did fate give me the most complicated relationship possible?

"How old are you, Rian?" Her eyes attracted mine like a moth to the light.

"Twenty," I automatically replied. The truth seemed to be sucked right out of my mouth.

She chuckled again.

"What?" I didn't see anything humorous about my age.

"My mom is going to kill me."

"Why?"

"Because," Faye said, an incredulous expression stretching across her face, "you're way older than me."

My eyebrows drew together. "How much older?"

"Three years. Well, I'm almost eighteen, so really only two."

"Doesn't seem like a big difference."

"It's big enough for my mom," she remarked with a sigh. "Anyway, let's talk about something else."

Conversation flowed easily. I watched as Faye's shyness slowly subsided, giving way to a quirky girl with strict morals. She brought out the laid back, joking character that I'd stuffed deep down inside of me as a child. Humor wasn't celebrated in the pack, so indulging in that side of me after all this time was liberating.

In spite of how often I wished my anima had been anyone else, the convenience never would have made up for the quality of our bond. We clicked. It was obvious how well we got along.

Time flew without notice. I could have stared into her soulful eyes while we talked for an eternity. Except our eternity was cut short by the buzz of her cell phone.

"Oh, crap," she muttered with an apologetic smile before accepting the call. "Hey, Mom."

I blew out a sigh. Faye's tone took on a more flustered sound. My sensitive ears listened to the conversation through the phone. I regretted that very quickly. It sounded like I was really in trouble now. Forget about Thea's puerile groundment.

Faye's mother wanted to meet me.