XL

*Rian*

Their voices carried outside. The argument was getting nasty, and I knew leaving would have been the right thing to do. Faye and her mother deserved privacy to work this out. They had to work this out. Even though I should have left, I didn't. I stay rooted in the bushes by the window on the side of the house.

"You're making this a way bigger deal than it is," Faye told her mother, hardly keeping her tone under control. "Rian isn't going to sell me into sex trafficking, and he's not going to get me pregnant."

"You hardly know this boy!" Her mother had used this excuse at least three times already.

"I know him better than you think."

"Heaven, help me. Have you two already had sex?"

There was silence for a moment. I assumed Faye was gaping. Her shriek ended the quiet.

"No! We haven't had sex!" Faye all but shouted. "What...why would you even think that?"

"Because a week ago you didn't even want me to mention his name!"

I bit my lip. My absence bothered her that much? My poor, sweet Faye. I knew she couldn't ignore me forever.

"That's teenage hormones for you," she spat, a complete lie.

She was hormonal, perhaps, but that wasn't why she suddenly refused to talk to me. Her mother had my wolf to thank for that.

"I just don't understand, Faye." Her mother's voice became sorrowful, almost whiny. "Why do you want to go to Oregon?"

"I'm meeting his family," she answered calmly. "They want to meet his first girlfriend."

"But you haven't even been dating a month yet. Who's to say you'll be together very long?"

"Mom!"

"I'm just being realistic, sweetie. You're not even eighteen yet."

She groaned. "I will be in ten days, Mom."

My mouth popped open. I thought she was already eighteen? Not that it matters to me. But still. Why didn't she correct me earlier?

"So I still have ten days to dictate your life," her mother crowed.

"I'm going to Oregon. Rian already paid for my ticket."

"You never even asked for my permission."

A fatigued sigh barely reached my ears. "I'm going to college in two months. I have to start making decisions for myself, without your permission."

"I know...I just...what am I going to do when you're gone?"

"Oh, Mom. Don't cry."

The woman's muffled sobs made me cringe. I couldn't imagine seeing such a prim woman cry. Just the idea made me uncomfortable.

"Is there a reason why you're sitting in the bushes?" Titus asked from behind me.

I spun around to glare at him, surprised. "What're you doing here?"

"Checkin' on you, you creep."

"Shut up, would you?"

Lowering his voice to a whisper, he said, "She's turned you into a real psycho. You know that?"

"If you have nothing nice to say, leave me alone."

Titus stuck his tongue out before settling into the bushes beside me. To my relief, he kept his trap shut.

"What time is the flight?" Faye's mother inquired, each word wobbly and uncertain.

"I...don't know yet," Faye replied. "Rian is supposed to text me the details."

Titus' eyebrows jumped up at down. "She agreed to come?"

I nodded, never taking my eyes off the shifting shadows through the window.

"Well," her mother continued, "I wish you would've told me more in advance. I would've been much more comfortable if you had."

"I'm sorry, but you have to let me do things like this. You have to trust me, Mom. I'm not dumb and I can handle myself." Faye took a deep breath. "And please don't tell Dad until I'm gone. He'll freak out."

"Honey...I have to tell your dad. He'll have a stroke if I don't say anything."

"But, Mom—"

"I'm letting you go, Faye. Don't complain about this."

She groaned again. "Fine. He can't stop me from going, though. He has to let me grow up, too."

A snicker escaped Titus' mouth as he elbowed me. "Human chicks have such issues."

"Shut it," I snapped, glowering at him.

He shrugged.

"I'm going to pack. I love you, Mom. Don't be mad, please," Faye said. "I just want you to understand."

"I do understand. That doesn't mean I like it."

"Thank you." Her soft footfalls padded up the wood steps to her bedroom.

"Movie's over," Titus remarked. "Now we know I don't have to knock your girl out. Can we go back to Thea's? I haven't eaten dinner yet."

Rolling my eyes, I complied. "Yes, you crybaby."

Before we headed back to Thea's house, I texted Faye. A grin the size of Texas had spread across my face.

See you tomorrow at ten o'clock, little fox. Give your mother my love.