Chapter 7

Carrie nudged Harrison. "You taking Adam to school?"

"What?"

"I said, are you taking Adam to school?"

Harrison sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "I guess."

"Good," she said, getting up.

"Carrie it's," he turned to look at his clock. "It's 6:30 in the morning."

"And I do start work today."

"I know, I know," he muttered, rolling over.

She rolled her eyes, picking out her outfit, and doing her hair. Carrie wore a simple white blouse and dress pants. Some of her hair was tied up, while the rest hung loosely down her shoulders.

"What should I do with Emma today?" He asked.

Carrie finished brushing her hair. "Take her for a walk or something. I don't know."

"I need ideas!"

"You've got plenty of time to lay there and think of some," she teased, putting her glasses on.

"Come on Carrie!"

She came out of the bathroom, Harrison following her all the way downstairs. "Sweetheart!"

"Take her to my parents, or take her for a ride somewhere," Carrie mumbled, looking for something quick to eat.

She found a yogurt, eating spoonfuls while packing her bag. "Binders, check. Pens check. Papers check."

"Laptop?"

He brought her computer over. "Can't forget your computer sweetheart."

Slinging her bag over her shoulder, she briefed Harrison on their afternoon plans. "I'll pick up Adam on my way home. Can you take him to practice at 7?"

"Yeah."

"You sure? Didn't you have that interview with ESPN, or is that next week?"

"It's next week."

"Okay," she said, grabbing her keys.

Harrison opened the door for her, kissing her gently as she walked by. "I love you professor," he smiled.

"I love you too."

He watched her throw her stuff into the backseat of her car. "Don't forget Adam has to be at school by 8:00!"

Carrie opened the drivers side door, getting in her Porsche. He hit the garage door opener as she started the car. She backed out of the garage, waving to him until the garage door began to close.

•••

Carrie arrived in her classroom in the University of Dallas before the majority of the other professors. She smiled, seeing her room again. Her desk was finally cleared, and copies of her awards hung in frames behind it.

Sitting down, she plugged in her laptop, pulling out her binders stuffed with worksheets and lesson plans. In the other large pocket, was a picture of her, Harrison, Adam, and Emma from their photo shoot over the summer. She set the frame next to her other pictures surrounding her laptop.

"Carrie!"

She turned, seeing Jess, the math professor down the hall who had been a great mentor to Carrie. Jess came behind Carrie's desk, giving her a hug as she stood up. "Jess!"

"How was your summer? How's the family?"

"Good," Carrie answered. "Adam starts his first day of kindergarten today."