Chapter 15

"Want me to take another turn?" She wondered. "You look exhausted."

Harrison shook his head. "I'm fine. We'll be there in 3 hours."

"You've driven 8 hours already today."

"I'm good. We're almost there."

But by the way he shook his head, Carrie knew he was tired.

"Mommy!"

"Yeah buddy?" She asked, turning around.

"I have to go to the bathroom."

"Okay," she said, seeing the sign for the next rest stop. "We'll stop at the next rest stop. And your daddy needs to switch with me."

"Carrie I'm fine."

She rolled her eyes as they exited the highway, taking the exit ramp that would lead to the rest stop. When they stopped, she made Harrison take Adam inside so she could move over to the drivers seat.

They came back, Harrison glared at her as he got in the passengers seat of the truck. "Harrison, I know you're tired," she said, looking over her shoulder as she merged back onto the highway. "Take a nap, I'll wake you up in 2 hours. And I'll be fine driving in the snow." Carrie looked at the dark horizon that could only mean one thing; snow, and in Colorado, lots of it.

He nodded, leaning the seat back a bit and closing his eyes. She smiled, looking at the 3 of them all sleeping. Emma and Adam sleeping in the back and Harrison in the front.

•••

They got to Harrison's brothers house 3 and a half hours later due to snow. It started coming down an hour before they got there, forcing Carrie to slow down. Once they got off the highway and onto the backroads up in the mountains, she nearly slid off an icy road.

But finally they made and and were all happy to get out of the cramped truck and stretch out. Unloading a few things, the four of them headed inside. Harrison's brother Terrance and his wife Teri helped unload everything.

"Harrison!"

"Hey Terrance," he said, giving his brother a hug. "How's the tundra?"

"It's not the tundra. It gets pretty warm here in the summer."

Harrison gave Teri a hug. "How you doing?"

"Good," she answered. "Got a job working for the Broncos front office."

"That's amazing! The Bowlen family will take good care of you."

The kids said hello before Carrie said hello to Terrance. "How's Todd?"

"He's doing good. He started working with the Dallas news as a producer."

"Good for him!"

Todd and Terrance were the younger brothers in Carrie and Harrison's relationship. When Carrie and Harrison started dating, Todd and Terrance became best friends, both of them going to each other's houses with their brother or sister, and sometimes, annoying them.

"What can I get you guys to drink?" Teri asked, making her way into the kitchen.

Carrie followed her, feeling the draft of cold air as she walked. "Hot chocolate?"