Chapter 8

Carrie picked Adam up after school. "How was your first day honey?" she asked.

"Good mommy!"

She smiled, watching her son get in the back of her car. "How was your day mommy?"

Carrie laughed at the thought of the two boys in her first class. "Pretty good." She pulled out of the school parking lot, going the opposite way.

"Where we going?"

"We're going to grandma's to get something."

"What we getting mommy?"

"You'll see. You and daddy will love it."

"Is it for football?"

"No. You'll have to wait and see."

Adam sighed. "Mommy."

"Yeah buddy?"

"People at school today asked me a lot if daddy was gonna play football again. I know daddy doesn't like it when people ask."

Carrie's hands tightened around the steering wheel. "What did you say?"

"I said no."

"Good job," she sighed. "Daddy just gets frustrated when people ask. They ask a lot. Okay?"

"Okay mommy."

•••

They got to Carrie's parents house a few minutes later. She watched Adam's eyes grow wide as they pulled up next to the shiny red car. "What's that?"

"That was mommy's first car."

"It looks old."

"It is buddy. That thing's an antique."

"What's antique?"

She got out of the car, Adam following. "It's old and its worth a lot of money."

He ran up to the car. "Wow mommy."

Carrie heard the sound of footsteps, turning to see her father walking over with the mustang's keys in his hand. "It's all yours."

She took they keys. "Thanks dad."

"It's gotta be worth some big money now."

"I don't plan on selling it anytime soon."

Adam ran around to the other side. "Are we gonna ride in it?"

"Yes."

Heading over to the drivers side, Carrie tossed her car keys to her dad. "Don't speed," she teased. "It's hard not too."

Her dad playfully rolled his eyes, getting into her Porsche. "Ready Adam?" She asked.

"Yeah mommy! Can I sit in the front?"

Carrie got in, unlocking the door for Adam. "This is a one time thing. Don't tell your dad."

"I won't! I promise!"

She laughed. He was adorable. As she turned on the road, he asked, "why do you move that stick?"

Carrie removed her hand from the shifter. "This car and mommy's white car are different. See this?" She asked, pointing to the shifter as Adam nodded. "This changes the gears in the car. The other can can change gears itself."

"So the other car is smarter?"

"Somewhat. The other car has more technology to shift itself."

He still looked confused. "Mommy's white car has an automatic transmission. That means the car shifts itself."