Chapter 16

They got home to all hell breaking loose. Carrie was on the phone with her mother in the truck for an hour before they got home. And from what Harrison could tell, she was ticked.

"Carrie!"

She held up her hand, saying, "I'm going to kill that asshole," into the phone.

Harrison was taken aback. "Carrie Frances Ford! Watch your mouth! The kids are in the back."

"Sorry," she whispered, shaking her head at something. "Did you shut off your credit card?"

He raised an eyebrow as she continued, "my laptop is on the kitchen table. The password is HarrisonCarrie11. Shut down everything."

Harrison waited patiently for her to hang up the phone, as he wanted to know what the hell was going on. And what was her mom doing at their house? Carrie was never one to react this aggressively to something. Whatever it was, it must be very important for her to act like this.

He tapped the steering wheel, hoping she would hang up the phone in the next few minutes. "Carrie."

"Daddy who's mommy talking to?" Adam asked, just waking up from a little nap.

"Grandma."

"She sounds mad."

"I know."

"Mom, we're almost home. And I'm going right over there to have a talk with him," Carrie said.

Again, Harrison wondered who 'he' was. He could hear the anger in her voice, but also a hint of sadness.

They exited the highway, Carrie still talking with her mom. "You sure you want to do that mom?"

After a few minutes, Harrison turned on their private drive. He parked next to Carrie's mothers car. Before he had a chance to turn the truck off, she was already out, running into the house. "Mommy!" Emma called, but Carrie disappeared in the house.

Emma started crying, as he ran over to the other side. "Emma it's okay," he reassured her, "mommy's stressed." Harrison unbuckled her, carrying her inside as Adam held the door.

He found Carrie on the couch, holding her mother, who was crying. "Mom it's going to be okay."

Adam followed his dad in, a confused look crossing his face. "Why's grandma crying?"

"I don't know buddy? How bout we go downstairs and play?" Adam nodded, leading his dad and sister downstairs.

"It just happened?" Carrie asked.

"Yeah," Debbie sobbed.

"Did you tell Todd?"

"Not yet. Are you going over there with him?"

Carrie shook her head. "I don't need backup."

"I just don't know what to do..."

She hugged Debbie again. "Mom, he's used you my entire life. Left when I was 2, came back, left again when I was 9, and came back again. You've got to let him go. If he loved you, he wouldn't have done this 3 times. The Eddie Fisher you loved is gone."

"I know honey."

Carrie stood up. "I'll be back in a little bit."