Mismatched Compatibility (12)

Dana:

Dakota and Alyson already went home a little over an hour ago. I would've been bored if it wasn't for Sam who kept me entertained.

Sam was the boy who was playing Beer Pong with Aaron earlier. I finally knew his name. He was actually very funny.

Ethan had such nice friends, and yet he turned out to be quite rude. Or perhaps he was just like that to me. I wondered what it felt like to be his friend.

My eyes wandered around the living room. It had been a while since I'd seen him last. I didn't want to think about where he was and what was keeping him busy. So I focused myself on Sam who was telling me a funny story. That was when I caught his eye look behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and saw a girl also eyeing him.

Oh. I was keeping him from that girl.

“You can go talk to her, if you want,” I told Sam earnestly.

His expression told me that he didn't expect me to say that. When he recovered, he raised an eyebrow and looked at me as though as I joking.

“And leave you by yourself?” he asked rhetorically. “Uh, no.”

“I won't take it against you,” I assured him.

He considered it for a moment. “Nah. I'd like to keep myself from getting a black eye, thanks.”

“What do you mean?” I was confused. What did he mean by that? How on earth would he get a black eye just from leaving me alone?

Sam only grinned at me in answer.

“Well, I'm calling it a night,” I declared truthfully. I think it was time to go back and have a good night sleep. I almost forgot that I was going to help Cher in preparing for tomorrow's event. “If only I could find Ethan.” So that he could take me back.

“Um.” Sam shifted in his seat. “I don't think that's a good idea.”

My brows furrowed in confusion. “Finding Ethan?”

“Yeah,” he replied carefully.

It took me a moment, but I understood what he was trying to say.

Outstanding. I now absolutely regret not taking Dakota's offer on giving me a ride. I surely don't want to interrupt Ethan's alone time with a girl. I'm not an idiot. That was clearly what Sam had meant.

It was odd. A gloomy feeling suddenly engulfed me. I didn't want to think about Ethan kissing another girl. The thought nauseated me. It was as though the air left the room and now I was suffocating.

One of my hands flew to cover my mouth because I recognized this feeling. I hadn't felt this in a long while. I couldn't believe that I was feeling it now.

“Are you okay?” asked Sam in a concerned voice.

Am I?

I uncovered my mouth and politely smiled at him. “Yes, I'm all right. Perhaps I should find a ride from someone else.”

“I'd volunteer,” he said sheepishly, “but I had too much to drink.” He paused. “I bet Nigel can take you,” he added loudly, gesturing to Nigel who was passing by.

Nigel looked from me to Sam. “Take her where?”

Sam's eyes turned to me in question.

I blinked. Oh, right. They weren't aware of the fact that I was staying at the Tyler Residence. I hoped it wouldn't be quite a big deal.

“Ethan's house,” I murmured.

Nigel and Sam widened their eyes in shock.

“You live there?” they demanded in unison.