Mismatched Compatibility (17)

Ethan:

 We were warming up on our side of the court when Aaron came up to me and nodded towards the bleachers.

“I gotta say, Ethan,” he said, impressed. “You work fast.”

I frowned in confusion. I followed where he was looking at and saw Daniella, who was sitting between Dakota and Alyson. With her gorgeous face, blonde hair, and my jersey . . . She really stood out amongst the crowd.

I grinned real wide.

That's my girl.

“How'd you manage to convince her to wear that?” asked Sam in disbelief.

Yeah, I know. She's pretty snarky when she wants to be.

I shrugged. “I asked her.” Like I said, I didn't like complications. Life would be much better if people just made things simple.

“I'm in awe,” stated Luke, patting me on the back.

And I'm fucking way in too deep for my liking. But instead of bitching about it, I chose to do something. I asked her out. I'd like to think I did the right thing.

Damn, she was gonna mess me up good.

I didn't have a reply to Luke, so I just smirked. I continued to shoot hoops with the others. Thankfully, they dropped the subject. This was probably one of those rare occasions that I didn't like talking about myself.

“Have you seen these losers?” mentioned Nigel.

All heads turned to the direction where he was looking at. He was referring to the current MVHS Basketball varsity team on the other side of the court. They were warming up, too. But I caught a couple or more of them glancing our way a few times, like they were sneaking a look to check us out or something.

Fvcking pvssies.

“They're good,” remarked Sam.

“We're better,” I snorted.

“No way,” disagreed Aaron, frowning.

We all looked at him.

He grinned and added, “We're the best.

That made us grin and chuckle, nodding our heads in approval. Only Luke seemed to shake his head in amusement at us. He faced Sam with an all-business-face.

“What's their play?”

Sam blinked for a moment at the sudden change of mood, but he quickly got over it. “Mostly offense. Crimson, the redhead,” he nodded to the lean-build redhead who was talking to Coach Buckley, “is their shooting guard. The kid's big on three point shots. Pretty quick, too. He's all around.”

“He the captain?” I guessed.

It wasn't rocket science. I heard the little bit of respect from Oz's voice when he spoke about him, even if it reeked of disgust. I still had to ask, though.

“Yeah,” confirmed Sam. “I heard he's a big fan of Aaron's.” He flashed a teasing smile on Aaron's way.

Aaron grinned. “He's got a good eye, then.”

We all laughed.

“Who else?” I asked Sam.

“Next is McKinley,” he answered. His eyes scanned the court, then stopped. “That one,” he said, pointing to a dude who kept glancing at us.

I studied him. Instantly, I got bad vibes from him.

I've known and met tons of different kinds of people. The Frat House was the perfect example. It taught me how to differentiate the safe people from dangerous ones just by studying their body language and movement of their eyes.