Mismatched Compatibility (27)

Ethan:

 The bell rang the moment we entered. The receptionist looked up and when her eyes landed on Viria, she smiled broadly.

“Hi!” she greeted cheerfully.

“Hi,” greeted back Viria, with a smile. “Are they still recording?”

“They're finishing up,” the receptionist informed. Her eyes switched to me and I could clearly see the curiosity there as her eyes traveled from my head to toe. She didn't bother hiding the fact that she was checking me out. “Who's your friend?”

“He's looking for someone,” said Viria. Her tone changed, no doubt noticing the receptionist's interest in me. “Did a Daniella Howard stop by here, in any chance?”

My eyes wandered around the place, in case Daniella suddenly popped out of nowhere. The brick walls were covered with frames of different artists and rock bands.

“Oh, Mr. Andrews' friend,” nodded the receptionist. She opened her mouth to say more but she got cut off.

“She left several hours ago,” said a British male voice.

All heads turned to the archway that lead to the long hallway. My eyes landed on a tall lean-build dude. He ran his hand through his short dirty blonde hair, making it more tousled than before. He had the kind of face girls came running to. But he didn't hold that player vibe. He looked playful, but not really a player.

I know I've seen his face before, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

“Who the fuck are you?” I snapped.

I couldn't help it. I thought I finally found Daniella and I'd be able to settle her doubts once and for all, only to bite me in the face.

“Ethan,” hissed Viria.

Huh. Turns out she didn't have to wait 'til Friday to see my jerk self.

To my surprise, the Brit laughed – wholeheartedly. He had one of those carefree laughter that was contagious if you were around them for too long.

“Hey, V.”

He stepped closer to Viria as his laugh lessened, his mouth turning into a warm smile. I caught his eyes soften when they landed on her. Then, I saw it. The same sad look Viria wore? This guy wore, too. He was just better at hiding it.

Viria smiled. “Hey, EJ.”

She looked like she was about to melt into a puddle on the floor as he pulled her into a hug. It was supposed to be friendly greeting, but they looked like they didn't wanna let go of each other.

If I wasn't so fucking whipped with Daniella right now, I would've made fun of them. Too bad I was no better at this sappy romance shit.

“Sorry about his rude behavior,” apologized Viria to the Brit, looking at me pointedly as they pulled away from what looked like a very magnetic hug.

I shrugged nonchalantly.

“No, it's all right,” assured the Brit, flashing her what could only be called a cheeky grin. He then faced me, amused. “It's actually quite refreshing.” He reaches out his hand to me. “I'm Erik Frost. One-fifth of High Jinks.”

I figured as much.

I nodded and took his hand, sneaking a glance at Viria who was watching us. With just one look at the two of them, I knew there was so much history there. I just didn't understand why the fuck weren't they still together.

Ack. Not my business.

“So where is she?” I asked him, getting to the point.

He sighed and shook his head. “I honestly don't know. She left with Karl as soon as she got here around noon.”