Part of the plan?

20:40 August 28th, 2010. Poseidonis, Atlantis.

I might as well say that my soul left my body at how much those explosions scared me. Kaldur and I pulled away from each other in a second, our fighting instincts triggering for space to maneuver. His hands snatched for his aquablades and my sorcery markings illuminated at my ready to use the marine arts.

Cries of the citizens of Atlantis rang loudly through my ears as well as the crumble of its buildings that fell in pieces. My heart thumped faster than a jackhammer as I watched a kingdom come crashing down.  So many call for help- silenced. This was genocide. All those buildings, those blasts....many would die.

Whoever was behind this would pay.

"Kaldur!" My cries echoed as I turned my head to the dark skinned Atlantean who was frozen with shock sketched into the confounds of his face. 'C'mon, fearless leader, don't pause on me now.' "Kaldur'ahm!" His eyes blinked away from the tragedy that laid before him, finally shaking from his paralyzed state. I could tell his mind and his heart were in an all out war right now. His home was turning to ruins and now he looking to me for what to do about it.

I sympathized with him, reluctantly taking the mantel as to release his shoulders of yet another burden. "We need to get to the Queen. With Orin gone, the people will look to her for protection. And with her pregnancy, she will be our first and utmost priority." His gaze narrowed with determination as he nodded in agreement. 

My wings sprung from my back, the adapted aquatic nature of their appearance allowing me to propel faster through the ocean in a way much more efficiently than what my two legs could ever accomplish by themselves. Mera might kill me for ripping her dress though...

The screaming continued to pound in my ears and increased in volume as Kaldur and I raced back into the inner circle of the city. Blasts and explosions were still being executed amongst the city. The deep waves of the ocean twisting in a sadistic dance at the propulsion they gave off.

"Get these people out of here!" My ears trained on the command of a guard that was assisting to lift a fallen pillar to allow the rescue of a few civilians. There was so much fear in their eyes, especially a small child that was consumed in the protective arms of his mother as they swam for safety.

I was about to ask if they needed help when a sudden blast of energy straight lined into the guards chest, electrocuting them on contact and knocking them out cold. The origin of fire had come from one of three men dressed in skintight, full black suit with a helmet to maintain their respiration and identity.

My fists tightened at the sight of the men who had transferred to train their fire on myself and Kaldur. Their guns raised in an instant, unleashing rapidly at just the chance to strike me down. "As much as I would give to beat you three into next week..." I muttered as I took a deep breath through my gills. With a wave in front of my lips, I blew out an enchanted force of tide at their figures, pushing their bullets back into their own selves and sending their bodies into the rubble of a building. They wouldn't be going anywhere for a while.

"Quick work, Astral." Kaldur praised, his blades still drawn through no longer needed for this situation.

I sent him a small smile before gesturing him. "No time for compliments, we have to move."

More blasts were taking place which meant more groups of these men were around the entire city and reeking havoc. I had to question though, were the other groups as small as this one? If they were, why would would they continue to destroy when they've done so much? It was evident that no regular group of three would easily make it out of Atlantis if they were ensnared by the guards. Was there something they were after?