~*Lilith*~

Nyxs POV

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The ocean was lumpy. I lie face down ontop of the water, gazing at the dull coral reef below my eyes. Dead fish float, getting tangled in my hair. Swarms and swarms of living fish pour from a dead moray eels den, feasting on whatever they see. Blood of dead organisms floats through the water as the lethal fish attack. What are they?The answer to myy question hits me hard enough to knock the breath out of my floating body. Piranhas. I scream and my lungs fill with water. The angered fish turn towards me. I see their eyes glow hungrily as they see live meat. They fly in swarms towards me, and get my neck. I feel their hungry teeth prying for food, tearing, shrieks of pain from the ones who get in the way of my gore.

I woke with Jer facing me, worry evident on his craggy features contorted in fear. Immediate refreshment cooled my heated body, and I hugged Jer. I was never much of a hug type of person, but with Jer, I loved it. It was selfless, and it felt beautiful to be close to someone who asks nothing of me. A thick gauze was wrapped tightly around my neck, and while in the embrace, I ecame alert that we were being watched. I pulled back and kept Jer at arm length while I surveyed the room. An older women in her forties sat in a chair, wiping her hands with a baby wipe.

"Who's that?" I whisper into Jers ear, trying to be sly, but failing.

"I'm Wendy. I came as soon as Jer called."

I glanced at Jer questioningly, keeping quiet just in case. He nodded and with a sly smile, he said," Wendy is my great-aunt, she used to keep an apothecary, before it was banned, and when you-erm- did what you did, I called her because a hospital was out of the question."

He smiled shyly, and I looped my fingers into his, giving a small squeeze when he jumped and sent me an incredulous look. Wendy cleared her throat loudly and sat up in her chair with a groan. She stood, popped her back, and glanced at us.

"Well, I guess I better be heading out, it's getting late..."

She made heavy eye contact with Jer, and he stood, understanding lighting up his features. My eyes flitted between them, wondering what I was missing. Jer followed her out into the motel hallway.  As soon as the door thudded shut, I crawled towards it, leaning my ear to eavesdrop on their conversation. Bits and pieces invaded my ears, and I immediatly wished I could rub them out.

"Is she the..?"

"Yeah,..... I don't care..... like a kitten...."

"...Any trouble?"

"No... fully trusts..... can't even guess..."

Tears blossomed into my eyes and went down my cheeks in small rivulets already carved from past betrayels. Slowly backing away from the thick door, a sob escapes my chest, and the buzz of talking dies outside the hallway.

"Kitty? Are you okay?"

My tongue is too swollen to answer, but somehow I manage to jump back onto the thin cot I was provided with and lie down. The door whooshes open and I hide my face in the pillow. Jers arms incircle me, and I shrink away, disgusted.

"Whats wrong with her?"

I hear Wendy ask, and her voice sends chills down my vertabrae.

"I think she needs pain medication. Here, give me the shot." My eyes flew open to find Jer holding a syringe swelled up with a purple red fluid.

"No." I whisper inaudibly. "I'm fine, really, I'm just, tired."

He laid down the fluid and threw me a questioning glance, which I bluntly ignored. My hand traveled towards my stomach. It's been almost three months. My once composed thoughts scrambled for a grip in the dark hole my mind was falling into. He seems to remember my child, gently pats my belly, and walks out. I needed rest, I guess he picked up on it. Wendy, however, didn't leave. She eyed my tummy suspoiciously and I felt hideously vulnerable and exposed.