~*The Man*~

Hey! I'm back!! Anyhoo, enjoy, and if you like BOTDF, check out my fanfic!!! Don't forget about the Apprentice either!!!:)))

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sun filtered through my curtains as I woke to yet another day. I smell eggs and smile. I rise from an un interupted sleep, the first I've had in a while. I hear Lilith humming to herself in the kitchen, and I sit and listen quietly, indulging in her lilting tunes. I told her everything. She didn't judge me, or Erik, or Jer, or even Tyler. She listened with a neutral mind and made me feel better about the whole situation itself. I shifted on the bed and the bed groaned.

"Nyx honey, you awake?"

Her voice floats through the air, and I imagine her half turned around, a skillet in her hand.

"Yeah, I'm up."

I reply while walking into the kitchen. The apartment was roomy, really nice on the inside, even though it was located in a bad part of town. I combed my fingers through my hair, but the tangles held up. I got sick of fussing with them and just let them lay there. I threw Lilith a quick grin as I slid onto a armchair, and she brought my eggs over to me, and seated herself beside me in a lumpy leather couch. We ate in a comfortable silence, and when we finished, Lilith took both of our plates to the kitchen. When she returned, she sat down.

"Nyx, what did Jer mean when he said foul play?"

The question caught me off guard and I was a bit bewildered. Thinking about it for a moment, I noticed I had no idea what he meant. I left too fast. After he- Oh God. I can't start crying. Not now. I bit my tongue hard and shook my head. She sighed.

"Hun, did you want to know? Who killed Erik that is?"

I squeezed my eyes shut but tears slid through anyway. I shook my head furiously. Of course I wanted to know who killed my lover. Why wouldn't I? My eyes snapped open as I realized what exactly she was saying.

"I left my only answer, didn't I? I left the only person who might've been able to help me."

Lilith crossed the room to me and held my shoulders at arms length. She grabbed my chin and pulled it to face her steady turquiouse eyes.

"No Nyx. That was most likely just another way to get you to stay. But I do believe he was on to something. I think we may be able to track down this murderer."

Her compassion moved me, but I held still, sensing there was more she had to say.

"It will not be easy. You have the whole country hunting you down. We will have to be in disguise."

She eyed my hair warily, and I grabbed it. I knew what we had to do. I pulled it up into a sloppy ponytail, and nodding, Lilith went at it with the scissors she already had prepared. My beautiful waist length hair fell to the floor, conviently bundled up. After the deed was done, I gazed into the mirror. It was short and spiky, with my hair in a boy cut in the back with two long strands in the front that just barely surpassed my chin. It did look good, but I still preferred it's length. My eyes became misty as I remembered how much Erik loved my hair. He would twirl his fingers through it while I fawned sleep, just savoring his touch, not even considering the fact that his touch would be so limited.