culture appropriation

"If you want to enjoy our culture and our lifestyle, bond with us, dance with us, have fun with us, twerk with us, rap with us, then you should also what affects us, what is bothering us, and what feels unfair to us." -Nicki Minaj

Dear white people,

Culture is not a costume.

Culture is not a trend.

Culture is not something to mock.

Something from another's culture is not yours to take ownership of.

if you still don't understand the concept of culture appropriation, think of it this way; you've been working on a project for school for weeks, but you get an F. Then you realize somebody had copied you, got an A plus extra credit completely disputing the fact that you're the credible one who put the effort in. Culture appropriation is something we've claimed and brought to life. But my fellow white people, it's time to stop.

In my honest opinion, I believe the Native Americans have experienced this one the hardest. People can't even acknowledge their actual label, which is Native American not Indian, yet have been stealing their head dresses, tribal print abounds, and culturally significant clothing wear for years. They're practically stripped of the value and significance because people are stealing it while simultaneously experiencing racism. If you have inspiration from their culture, it does not automatically mean it's wrong, but it is wrong when you lack education and the knowledge of importance of what you are wearing. Instead of disputing that it's just clothing, educate yourself on why it's not just clothing.Their attire and past actions are something that is deemed as a thing children can "play", which used in right situations should be okay, but in some they're just not. Their ownership of their lifestyle/culture wear is disregarded among the meaning and beauty of it. It's turned into a normalized action and clothing wear when it should be no where near accepted when they're experiencing the backlash of it.

Indians also get a harsh backlash from their culture being appropriated, too. Non-Indians will will want the thick hair, but not the thickest eyebrows. The jewel, but not the forehead dot. White people wanna complain about people wearing shirts with band names that that person doesn't even listen to, but will have hennas, wear bindis, and hijabs. They are not aware of the deep cultural significance they are partaking in, indefinitely leading to racism and deeming it as cool.

When you wear a specific type of attire that you evidently know a specific race/ethnicity has ownership of it, but you are uneducated on what it truly means, it's like getting a tattoo in Chinese but being unaware of what the symbol is. A Chinese person or someone who has taken the time to learn their language and appreciate it will see the word and understand it, but you don't although it could be something that makes you look utterly foolish. The people who understand the significance of cultural attire will never overlook the appropriation, nor will it ever go unrecognized. If it's not your culture and you haven't put any time or research into understanding and acknowledging the significance, you're being disrespectful and racist. Another's culture is not your trend.

White people want the trend, but not the history. The advantages, but not the disadvantages. They want to wear, but not understand. The features, but not the label. They want the culture, but not the people. There's a lot more to just wearing a clothing piece of hairstyle that belongs to a specific race, religion, or ethnicity. There's core values, notions of modesty, beliefs and assumptions, manners, and rules of conduct. If you do not respect and recognized the values of the race or religion, do not wear it.

First we laugh, then we copy. Why?

Diversity is an amazing and beautiful concept. The notion that we, as the entire human race, can come together and respect the history and background of others and love each other whilst embracing other cultures significance sounds spectacular. I have not seen it from more than a small group of people, but it is an astounding belief that I only hope one day we can all achieve. As of right now, people are not embracing the culture, but laughing and mocking them then turning it into a trend for their people. See the problem?

Culture is a beautiful thing. We need to educate ourselves and learn to love and appreciate cultures before we truly embrace it. As white people, our 'culture' is basically known for genocide, slavery, and stealing land, whereas others have beauty and moral that we can partake in if we learn to respect and appreciate it. If we learn that it is not ours, but we can still love it and understand the meaning and beliefs behind it, that's when the disrespectful culture appropriation will end.

If you wear things from certain cultures and specific races, but also honor the beliefs and significance behind it, that sounds like a beautiful and valid thing. (I'm sorry if you disagree, this is just my personal opinion.) As long as you are not overstepping your boundaries and truly loving and appreciating the belief system, I'm sure any body would be honored. Love it with them, but also know it with them.

White people, educate yourself, humble yourself, as well as honor your attire that hold cultural significance behind it. If you can't, don't wear it because you are disrespectful and racist.