[thirty one]

Indi's POV

One second the man was on top of me, pushing me into the pool table, and the next he wasn't. 

I couldn't process what was happening fully.  The room was still spinning and it was hard to focus. 

But I knew whatever had happened, it had been Alex.  

I turned around to see Alex shoving the blonde man up against the wall with exponential force, the man's shirt twisted in his fist.

With him finally off of me, I felt like I could breathe again.  

Well, that was until Alex drove a fist into his face.

Everyone around us seemed to notice all at once.  So they noticed a fight but not a woman getting assaulted?  That was the epitome of pathetic.

A tall guy with graying hair tried to pull Alex off of my aggressor, but it didn't work.  Alex sent another punch at the man's face, who was trying very unsuccessfully to fight back. 

It wasn't until Nick and Jamie ran over and grabbed Alex by the arms that he quit.  But the fight was far from over.

"Fucking scum," Alex spat at the man, his accent much harder to understand under his anger.  "You fucking scum."

"The hell was that for?" the man, whose eye was already beginning to swell, yelled.  "That's assault!  Someone call the cops!"

"Good fucking idea," Alex shot back at him.  "We can report you at the same time.  Tell me, how long do fuckers like you stay on the registry in the States?"

"The fuck you talking about?" the man spat.

 Alex tried to break free, but Nick and Jamie were holding him too tightly. "Takes a real man to hold a drunk girl down."

The man looked at me and then back at Alex.  "I didn't do nothin' to that girl she didn't like."

Alex looked like he could of killed the man.   And he might have if I hadn't stopped him.

"Alex," I said, afraid of what was going to happen next.  "Don't."

He looked over at me.  It seemed, in the midst of his blind rage, that he'd forgotten that I was even there at all.  He finally broke free from Jamie and Nick and started toward me.

But right when he did, the man took his chance and charged at Alex from behind.  But before he could even get within a foot, Nick was in between them, holding the blonde man back.  That was real friendship.

Alex grabbed both of my shoulders when he made it to me.  

"Are you okay, Indi?"

I nodded, still in shock.  Not so much about the man pinning me down, but about how angry Alex had gotten.  I'd never seen him like that.

Granted, I'd only known him for a total of 3 days.  But still. 

He put an arm around my shoulders and pulled me through the crowd.

"Holy shit," Matt said, running up to us.  "What the hell happened?"

"Was there a fight?" Rose asked at his side, her eyes jumping between us.  "We just walked back in and we heard all this yelling and...wait.... was it you guys?"

"Let's just get out of here," Alicia said, appearing with a still-tense Nick.  "We'll tell you about it in the car."

The seven of us made our way out of the bar, all eyes and locked on us.  I noticed there were a few people recording us on their phones.  Great.

I almost face planted getting into the car, but Alex caught me.  I tried to act drunk enough to not notice how he kept his hands on my waist as he directed me to the back seat.  

"Are you really okay?" he asked as he settled into the seat next to me, a lot more gracefully than me.

"Yeah," I said.  "Violated, but okay."

He shifted away from me a fraction.  "That's to be expected."

I was about to say something, but the streetlight flashed through the window as Nick pulled out,  illuminating Alex's hand.  His knuckles were red and already beginning to bruise.  

"Your hand," I said.  

He looked down at it.  "Fuck."

"You really messed him up."

"Also to be expected."

"Uhuh."

He looked at me, long and hard.  "How drunk are you, Indi?"

I leaned my dizzy head back.  "Drunk enough to sit back here with you and not complain."

"Negative three."

I looked at him.  "Huh?"

"I'm up to negative three now," he said.  

"After that"? I said.  "I'll give you two for it.  You hit that guy pretty fucking hard."

The corner of his mouth titled up.  "Thanks, but I think I'll work my way up the hard way."

"Suit yourself, matey."

"Be quiet and focus," he said, settling back in his seat.

"On?"

He flashed me a weary smile.  "Not throwing up."