[sixty four]

Alex's POV

"I have some good news for you, mate," Matt said just as Indi disappeared into the bathroom.  

I made my way into the kitchen and looked around for something to eat.  "What's that?"

"Well I called Nick and told him about all of this, and he said he'd be happy to fly you out to Sheffield tomorrow."

I stopped.  "Tomorrow?"

"Yeah," he said.  "I told him you're probably dying to get out of there."

Indi's off-key singing drifted down the hall as she started the shower up and closed the door.  I couldn't help but laugh when I realized she was singing a song from The Little Mermaid.

I thought I would be dying to get out of here too, but for some reason I wasn't.

I liked being with Indi when she was like this- when she was just being herself and not trying so hard to push me away.  And although I still wasn't sure where we stood, I couldn't find it in me to leave.  

Not yet.

"Tell Nick that I'll just fly out with you next week," I told Matt.  "No sense in spending all that money.  And I'm still waiting on the useless police to find my phone and wallet."

Matt looked at me like I'd gone mad.  "You're going to willingly stay there?  With Indi?"

"Yeah," I said. "I guess I am."

"Is she holding you at gunpoint right now?" Rose asked, grabbing the phone from Matt.  "Should I be calling the FBI?"

Matt took the phone again.  "Well, alright mate, if you're sure.  I'll tell Nick that you're staying."

"Cheers."

"Anyways, Rose wants to go swimming now, so I'll talk to ya later," he said, still looking at me a bit strangely.  "Are you sure you're good and definitely not being held at gunpoint?"

"Yeah," I laughed.  "I'm good bruvs."  

And for once I actually meant it.

We said our goodbyes and I hung up.  I was about to put Indi's phone up when I noticed a text from Jude.  

I knew that I shouldn't.  She'd given me clear instructions to only use her phone to talk to Matt.  But I couldn't resist.

I went to her messages, noticing she had six unread texts from Jude.  Jesus, he needed to calm the fuck down.  I glanced up at the bathroom door, making sure Indi wasn't about to catch me in the act, before opening them.

Yesterday

9:30 AM: I got the present from the club u asked for.  Put it on your desk.  Who is it from again?

11:45 AM: At your house.  Where are you?? Pumpkin patch @ noon

12: 05 PM: Indi?? 

My present.  She'd asked Jude to go back and get it.  I thought she had burned it, honestly.  Or at least thrown it away.  I tried not to think about whether she'd gone through it or not and continued reading.

Today 

12:50 AM: Had fun at the pumpkin patch tonight... wished I could have seen u more.  How long is this Alex guy staying in town?

1:23 AM: Hey, are u up?

8:30 AM: Hello?  Are you dead?

Fuck.  This dude needed to chill.  I almost sent him a text when the bathroom door opened and Indi walked out, wrapped in a towel. Her hair was still a mess, even when it was sopping wet.

"You shower fast," I said, throwing her phone back down on the table and trying to act natural.

"Yeah, well I can sense when someone is going through my texts," she said.

I'd been caught.

"You really think I wouldn't go through your texts when you leave me alone with your phone?"

She narrowed her eyes as she entered the living room.  "You know this means I have to lock you out."

"I'm sure I could find somewhere to stay," I said.  "Those girls on the elevator seemed like they'd be willing to make some room for me."

She rolled her eyes, picking her phone up off the table.  "What did Matt want?"

"Matt..." I said, scrambling to come up with something.  "He just, er, wanted to see how I was doing, really."

If she found out that Nick was willing to fly me out to Sheffield, she would have me at the airport in an hour.  And I just needed a little more time with her.  

"Oh," she said nonchalantly.  "That's cool."

"Yeah."

She turned to head back down the hall when suddenly she stopped and faced me again.

"I want to go out tonight," she said.  "Are you down for a drink?"

"Do you even have to ask that question?"

"Considering you were drunk the very first time I met you, no, probably not."

"I wasn't drunk at the radio station," I argued.  "Maybe a little buzzed, but not drunk."

"Whatever," she said, turning away.  "I'm going to go write.  Be ready by 8."

I stayed planted there for a moment, watching after her, and trying to make sure that I hadn't been hallucinating.  Indi wanted to go out for a drink with me?  How in the actual fuck had she gone from possibly murderous to this?

I didn't know.  All I did know, however, was that whatever tonight held, it was certainly going to be interesting.