[sixty eight]

Alex's POV

The cold air of the morning bit my skin as I stood outside of Indi's apartment building, my lips wrapped tightly around my cig.

I could never win with her. No matter what happened between us, she always found some way to turn it back to me.

Or at least that's what it felt like.

I leaned my back up against the wall of the building. Maybe I should call Matt and tell him that staying wasn't a good idea.

Because I could feel something happening between Indi and I.

Well, something obviously had happened last night, and I was frustrated beyond belief that I couldn't remember what it was.

But I wanted to get close to her. I wanted her just like I'd wanted her in Colorado.

I wanted her, but I knew that I couldn't have her.

And she obviously didn't want me. There were times when I it seemed that maybe she did, but then she was recoil so fast that it would obliterate any progress we'd made.

Something she'd said to me in the alley behind that club in Colorado ran through my head. She'd asked me why I wanted to dance with her when there were a million other girls inside that I could dance with.

And I still didn't know the answer to that. But whatever it was, it was the same reason I was still here.

There was something about her. I couldn't explain it.

But now my head was fucked from the hangover and fucked from Indi and I didn't know what to do.

So I just smoked, staring out at the cars buzzing down the street.

I was almost done with cigarette when Indi came barreling out of the front doors, nearly falling over as she did. She spotted me and relief seemed to wash over her worried face.

"You're still here," she said, approaching me breathlessly.

She was still wearing my shirt, and I had to force myself not to look at the way it hung open dangerously low on her chest. She'd thrown a pair of pajama pants and her hair looked like a rats nest on top of her head. Her cheeks were flushed and there was mascara smudged beneath her eyes.

She looked horrible. But even so, I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

"I'm still here," I said, taking another drag. "Where'd ya think I went with no money or car?"

"I... I dunno," she said. "You just never smoke out here and you seemed pissed when you left and I guess I just thought that you'd had enough with me.

As if that could ever happen.

She paused and put a hand on the back of her neck, looking down at her feet. "So I came to stop you and that's why I'm out here looking like a straight meth head."

"Wait," I said, moving closer to her. "Is it possible that you, Indiana Hunt, actually feel bad? And you've come out here to apologize?"

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't make this any harder than it is, jackass."

I finished my cig and threw it on the ground, crushing it beneath my shoe. "So you came out here to make sure I didn't leave. Does that mean you want me to stay?"

"No," she said quickly. "It just means that I don't want you out wandering the streets by yourself when you have a history of drawing the wrong kind of attention. And getting mugged."