[fifty four]

Alex's POV

Rose made a bed up for me on the couch later that night when I'd calmed down enough to go back inside.   Jude was gone (thank god) and Indi still hadn't come out of her room.  Something told me she'd be in there a lot for the next week.

"Don't worry about Indi," Rose said, pulling an extra blanket out of their storage closet.  "She's just being overdramatic."

I nodded but didn't say anything.

"And it's actually kind of a good thing you're staying this week," she said.  "Indi's on assignment and doesn't have to go back into her office until Monday because she's writing this editorial about working from home, or something."

Perfect.  That was just bloody perfect.

Rose said goodnight to me and headed to her room.  Matt stuck around for a minute, looking at me with pity.

"Is it that bad?" he asked.

"She absolutely loathes me," I told him, taking off my jacket and jeans, leaving me in just my white t-shirt and boxers.  "I'm honestly a bit afraid she's going to murder me in my sleep."

"Wouldn't be surprised," Matt said.

I tossed my clothes over with my bag and guitar case in the corner and fell down onto the couch.     "I didn't think she'd be this hung up about it still."

Matt nodded thoughtfully.  "You must have really torn her up.  Or maybe she just really liked you."

"I dunno, mate," I said, truthfully.  I felt like I didn't really know anything anymore.

"I'm sure she'll come around," he said.  But we both knew that was going to happen. 

We said our goodnights and he headed into Rose's room, shutting the door behind him, leaving me in the still air of the living room.  

I could hear faint music coming from Indi's room; it almost sounded like Lana Del Rey.  I would tell her that I've hung out with Lana a few times, but I thought now was probably not the best time.

So I just laid there, my head spinning with everything that had happened in the past 2 hours, wondering how the fuck I was going to be able to sleep when I kept replying our argument in my mind.

For the first time since I'd met her, she'd pissed me off.  Like, really pissed me off.  

I shouldn't have been such dick to her, though.  But then again, she shouldn't have been such a dick to me.  

Maybe it was a good thing we were like that to each other.  Her and I were toxic together.  Maybe it was better this way.

Or maybe I was just trying to convince myself of this.  

I found my old iPod in my bag and turned up one of Miles's songs, trying desperately to sleep. But with disaster girl just right down the hall from me, I was well aware that sleep would be pretty much impossible.