[fifty seven]

Indi's POV

By the time we got to the grocery store, neither Alex or I had said a single word to each other. It was safe to say that he was still in shock from my apology.

Which wasn't surprising. I was still kind of in shock myself.

Never in a million years had I'd seen myself trying to reconcile with Alex. But maybe my ability to do so meant that I was maturing. Or maybe it just meant that I just didn't have the energy to feud with my roommate for the next week.

Either way, we'd made amends. For the time being, at least. Because he still pissed me off, and keeping the peace wasn't exactly my forte.

"I think this is the longest you've ever gone without talking," Alex said as we pulled into a space in the parking lot.

"Yeah, well, I'm waiting for the poison to kick in," I said, shooting him a sideways glance.

He laughed quietly, reaching for his door handle. I watched a few girls pass in front of our car and pile in the SUV parked next to us, and it hit me suddenly that I was about to take Alex Turner into a grocery store.

"Wait," I shot at him quickly. "You can't go out there like that."

"I... can't?"

"You look way too much like yourself," I said. "And I really don't feel like being ambushed."

He retracted his hand from the door handle. "And you didn't think of this when we were leaving your apartment?"

"No."

I'd been way too busy thinking about how in the hell I was able to man up enough to apologize to him. And how I was going to be able to survive the next week.

"Take your leather jacket off," I told him. "It makes you stick out way too much."

He did as I said, his dark eyes narrowed slightly. "Anything else?"

"Put your sunglasses on," I said. "Wait, actually don't. Put mine on."

I rummaged around in my glove box, pulling out my rose gold glasses. He gave me a look as I set them in his hand.

"And you don't think these will make me stand out?"

"Maybe," I said. "But you won't look like your usual greaser self."

We got out of the car and headed through the parking lot toward the front doors. I looked over at him, realizing he was still very obviously Alex Turner.

"Last thing," I said, stopping in front of him. "Lean down."

He stopped, looking me over carefully. After a moment, he complied apprehensively, leaning down until his face was only inches from mine.

I took a deep breath to prepare myself before running my hands through his slicked-back hair until it toppled down onto his forehead.

He looked so young when his hair was down like that. He looked like he had during the younger days of his career, when he had messy hair and a boyish face.

I don't think he'd ever go back to those days, but standing there in front of me, with dark and disorderly hair tumbling down into his eyes, he looked so young, so...

Perfect.

"Did you get stuck?" Alex asked, snapping me out of my trance. I realized, with horror, that my hands were still in his hair.

I pulled back immediately, my skin catching fire. "There's no way I could get stuck with all that shit you put in your hair."

He smirked, putting on my glasses. "Whatever you say, disaster girl."