[fifty nine]

Indi's POV

One moment I was leaning down to tie my shoe, and the very next I was being pulled into the corn maze. 

And I think I would have been less shocked had I looked over and saw a stranger pulling me into the maze, but of course it wasn't.

It was Alex.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked him.

"A favor," he said, his voice quiet.  "For the both of us."

I pulled out of his grip, about to tell him that he couldn't just drag me wherever he wanted, but the sound of Jude's voice stopped me.

"Indi?" He said from right outside the entrance of the maze.  "Where'd you go?"

I thought of his hand, and how fucking uncomfortable it felt in mine.  Maybe Alex really was doing me a favor.

So this time I was the one that grabbed Alex, and we took off in a random direction, making haphazard turns and dodging couples walking along the narrow paths.  We didn't stop until we were deep in the maze and both completely out of breath.

"Are you..." Alex said through heavy breaths.  "Are you okay?  You look like you're going to vomit."

"I'm fine," I said, leaning over.  "I'm just bad at running.  And any physical activity, really."

We both regained our composure just as my phone started going off.  I knew it was Jude before I even looked at the screen.

I let it go to voicemail and shot him a text telling him we'd meet them at the hayrack rides. 

"Let me see the map," I said to Alex, putting my phone away.  "We can walk around here until they open the hayrack rides.  That way we can avoid all of the awkwardness of walking around with Jude and Alice."

He only stared at me, a blank look in his chocolate eyes.

"You did get a map, didn't you?"

"This was kind of a get away," he said.  "I didn't really think too much about it."

I looked around.  There was no one else in sight and the sun was quickly sinking down under the huge stalks of corn surrounding.  I had no fucking clue how big the maze was or where the hell we were in it.

"Great," I said.  "So we're basically lost."

"I'd choose this over being with them," he said.  "No offense, but Jude is proper sleezy and Alice won't shut up."

"None taken," I said.  "They're both great friends and all, but the only reason I agreed to come with them like two months ago was because I knew Rose and Matt would be away and I thought I'd have nothing else to do."

"I would have fancied a night in myself," he said, the corner of his mouth turning up.

He was being too friendly.  I was being too friendly.  So I gave him a look and started walking in a random direction.  I didn't want him to think that just because we'd made amends that we could possibly be friends. 

We couldn't be friends.  Not now, not ever.  Because being friends meant letting him back in.  And that was bridge I'd burned long, long ago.

"So what's the plan, disaster girl?" he asked me, following after me.  "You probably know your way around a cornfield much better than I do."

"The plan is to walk," I said.  "We can't be too far away from the exit."

But I wasn't so sure about that.