Chapter 5

I got into Tyler's car and closed the door.

" How was work?" he asked.

He pulled out of the Marshall's parking lot and got on the highway to drive me back home.

School dragged on forever and when he drove me to work he didn't ask any questions. We just listened to music and I sang a little bit.

" Long." I said.

He nodded and I turned on the radio but on a low volume. I, for once, wasn't in a music mood.

" So am I taking you home?" he asked.
I nodded.

" Do you want to come to my house? To chill for a while."

I sighed.

" It never happened. I'm fine. I don't need your sympathy." I said annoyed.

This is why I don't tell anybody about dad. I knew they would feel bad for me and I don't want that. I want them to treat me like they would if they didn't know. Good think Tyler didn't know about my mom.

" I already told you I'm not going to pretend nothing happened. But come on. A hour. That's it."

" No. I want to go home."

This was the truth but a lie all the same.

He turned on the exit and we sat at a red light. He turned to me and I looked at him boldly.

That one piece of hair was dangling on his forehead again and I had an urge to move it. I think he likes it like that though. His green eyes looked at me sad and I looked away.

" I don't want your sympathy." I whispered angrily.

" It's not sympathy. It's worry. Now come home with me. Please." he begged.

I kept looking out the window and the light turned green. He sighed and drove. A couple minutes later he pulled into my driveway and I sat there for a minute. Daniels car was parked in the driveway and I began to worry.

Did he loose his job? Has dad beaten him? Is dad still angry?

" Ashley."

I snapped out of my thoughts and unbuckled.

" Thanks for the rides today." I said, facing him.

He looked at me.

" Anytime. I'll pick you up tomorrow for the movies."

I completely forgot about the movies. But I don't want him coming back here.

As if reading my thoughts Tyler said, " Don't worry about your dad. I really don't mind. I can pick you up."

" Stop reading my thoughts. And I'll think about it." I said.

He nodded and we sat there in silence for a while. Why am I not getting out of the car?

He leaned a little closer to me and I didn't move.

I need to get out now!

He leaned over a little closer and put his lips to my ear.

" Call me if you ever need me." he whispered softly.

I fought the urge to shiver against the feeling of his warm breath on me. He pulled away slowly and looked at me.

" I don't need you. I'm fine." I said, then got out of the car and walked up my steps.

I unlocked the door and turned back to Tyler. He waved and I put up my middle finger and gave him a tiny smile. I saw him smile and give me the finger back. I rolled my eyes and went inside but stayed by the door. I didn't hear him leave for another two minutes.