Chapter 18

" So he just came in your room, looking actually decent, and had a normal talk with you?" Daniel asked for the millionth time.

I was lying across the couch and flipping through channels on the tv. Daniel had came home with lipstick on his face and neck and he seemed like the happiest guy alive. I didn't bother asking what went on and he didn't say anything. After washing up he came down into the living room.

" Yes. Like I said a thousand times. Oh. I had lend Tyler a pair of your sweats, boxers, and a shirt for when he got out the shower."

Daniel made a face.

" He can keep the boxers washed or not, another guy was wearing them."

I laughed and he smiled.

" Well you are in a really good mood today. Did you and Tyler get it on?"

I blushed and continued flipping through the channels.

" Did you and Veronica?"

" Duh. Now you and Tyler?"

I groaned.

" On the second date? She fast?"

" She's not fast. We just really like each other and it sort of happened."

I nodded.

" You still haven't answered my question."

" No. We talked. Kissed. Cuddled. And he gave me an amazing massage."

" Please tell me it was a normal massage."

I groaned and felt my face getting even hotter.

" Yes. On my back and shoulders. No where else. Now stop asking."

Daniel laughed and I turned off the tv, giving up on trying to find something remotely interesting. Just then we heard footsteps on the stairs and we saw our dad coming down. This time he was wearing faded jeans, a shirt that wasn't wrinkled but had a beer stain on it, and a pair of socks.

I looked at Daniel and he looked shocked. This is his first time seeing dad look, well, normal in almost ten years.

My dad came over and took a seat next to Daniel. We sat in silence for a while.

" Daniel," he acknowledged.

Daniel gave a slight nod and I crossed my ankles and fiddled with my fingers.

" I'm sorry son. I know it's not good enough but in sorry. For being a shitty dad. For beating you and Ashley. For becoming an alcoholic. For saying and doing dumb shit. I'm sure Ashley has already told you about earlier. But I love you son."

Daniel looked perplex but he clenched his jaw and looked him dead in the eye.

" I don't forgive you for anything yet. You made me grow up when I wasn't ready. Paying bills. Getting a job. Taking care of Ashley. That's your job. Not mine."

My dad looked sad but quickly masked it.

" I know Daniel. You don't have to forgive me now. But I'm apologizing."

Daniel nodded and my dad looked between Daniel and I. He opened his mouth to say something but he was having a hard time. He took a deep breath and sighed.

" I'm going to rehab," my dad blurted out.

My jaw dropped and Daniel looked confused.

" We can't afford rehab," Daniel stated.

My dad rubbed the back of his neck and grimaced.

" You see, I have around ten thousand dollars in the bank."

My jaw dropped more if that was even possible. Daniel looked angry however.

" Ten thousand?! And you haven't help spare a dime for when we needed groceries or needed to pay the bills? The fuck?!"

My dad grimaced.

" I was a drunk. I wasn't really thinking about bills and groceries."

Daniel clenched his fist and I shot Daniel a glare.

" Daniel. Shut up."

He gave me a glare but I could see his eyes softening a bit.

" I'm going, starting tomorrow in the morning."

" Why so early?"

He turned to me and gave me a small smile.

" The earlier the better."

I nodded.

" I'm proud of you dad."

He shook his head.

" I'm proud of you, Ashley. I'm proud of you too Daniel. I'm proud of both of you."

Daniel rolled his eyes but I know deep down he was happy.

My dad gave us one last look before getting up and heading to the kitchen.

" I'm starving. How about y'all? Steak subs sound good for dinner?"

I gave Daniel a shrug but he looked suspicious.

" Yeah. Sounds great. I'll help chop up onions and peppers."

The faucet turned on in the kitchen and Daniel got up.

" I want to make sure he doesn't poison it or anything," he said quietly, seriously.

I rolled my eyes but didn't argue. Rather be safe then sorry...

***

" This is really good!" I exclaimed taking another big bite.

My dad laughed and he looked very pleased.

" I'm glad you like it."

We finished up our food and talked about how long we thought he was going to have to stay in rehab. I cleared away the dishes and took them to the kitchen. I washed them but left them out to dry. Daniel can put those away later. I went back into the kitchen and leaned against the door.

I watched Daniel and my dad talk civilized and smiled to myself. This is the happiest I've been in who knows how long. Tyler loves me. I love him. Daniel found a girlfriend he really likes. And dad is going to rehab to be clean.

" I'm going to my room," I stated.

" Aright," Daniel and my dad said.

They kept talking about arrangements and I walked upstairs. I took off my jeans and slipped on a pair of sweatpants before laying in bed.

I'm so glad there has been no school for all this snow. I wonder how Tyler and I will be when school does start. Will he be holding my hand? Kissing me and walking me to my classes? I've never thought about this with my previous boyfriends but Tyler is different. He gets me. He knows me.

I picked up my phone and almost called him but thought better of it. I just saw him a couple hours ago. His friend needs him. Not me.

There was a small rap on my door and I told them to come in. Daniel walked in and closed the door behind him. He sat down in one of my chairs and leaned back, stretching his legs put in front of him.

" What happened to dad over night?"

I shrugged and smiled.

" I don't care. I like the new him."

He smiled back.

" Yeah. I like it too. About time. He's packing right now."

I nodded.

" Are we going to drop him off?"

" No. He's going to the one in Texas because it was the best one he found. He's going to leave in the wee hours."

I frowned.

" Just when he becomes nice he leaves."

" Better him leave and get help then him be good for one day then become a drunk the next."

" True shit."