Chapter 7

I looked into his eyes as he pulled away. I couldn't speak.

What was that for? And why am I feeling this way? I can't feel this way. I don't even know him!

He put my hand on his chest and I could feel his heart pounding, just like mine.

" I care about you Ashley." he said softly.

No. This can't be happening. He can't like me. I have to push him away. I didn't like it. But I knew he knew that my heart was pounding too.

" I know you care too. You can drop down that guard. Ashley. I'm not going to, I'm going to try my very hardest not to hurt you. I swear on my life." he said gently.

I shook my head in denial. This can't be happening.

" Tyler. I think I should be getting home. I have stuff to do." I said, looking away.

He sighed.

" Ashley."

" Daniel needs me." I said.

He groaned and I got up. I took the crutches and headed for the door. " I left my phone upstairs in your room. Can you get it?" I asked.

He went upstairs and came back a second later with his keys and my phone. I took it and slid it into his sweatpants. Tyler opened the door and I made my way to the car. I opened the passenger side myself and got in, putting the crutches in the back seat.

He got in and I pulled out my cell phone, pretending to be interested at whatever was on my screen. He kept taking side glances at me while he was driving.

When we got to my house he got out and helped me. He handed me the crutches and walked me to the door. I realized I forgot my keys and Daniels car wasn't parked out front. I groaned and rang the doorbell and dialed Daniels number. He picked up on the first ring.

"What's up?"

" I'm home. Do you think dad is awake?" I asked, ringing the doorbell again.

Tyler looked at me and I looked away.

" No. Passed out right now. But why aren't you at Tyler's?"

I rang the doorbell again.

" I'll tell you later."

" Did he hurt you?" he asked.

" No. I'll tell you later. Where's the spare key?" I asked.

"In the weeds, to the left, dig a little in the dirt and it should be right there." he said.

I heard his boss call his name.

" Alright. Thanks. I'll see you soon."

" Bye."

He hung up and I looked at Tyler. I told him where to get the key, since I couldn't squat with my knee, and he bent down to get it.

" I'm sorry. I mean you didn't stop me so I thought it would be ok." he whispered.

He pulled out the key and rubbed the dirt back together, making it look like it was never touched.

" You never knew about this key." I said, taking it from him.

I unlocked the door and pushed it open slightly. I could hear my dad snoring loudly.

" Let me stay. At least until your brother comes. We don't have to be in the same room. I just don't want you alone. With him." he pleaded.

I groaned.

" Only because Daniel would want you too. Stay in the living room. And don't make a sound! You can watch tv. Keep it low. Eat and drink whatever." I said, going inside.