Chapter 5

"Letting go is the easy part. It's the moving on that is painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same. Things can't stay the same though. At some point you just have to let go, move on. Because no matter how painful it is, it's the only way we grow." - Ellen Pompeo, Grey's Anatomy

Jane's Point of View:

It's been a week since Maura and Barry  came over. Things between Maura and me are pretty much back to normal. At lunch her and Lip joined us and it was pretty chill. Barry and I made it on the basketball team, not that I expected anything different. Maura spends all of her time outside of school with Lip, but it's cool because when I'm not at practice, I'm hanging with Barry and Nina.
"Jane!" I hear the familiar voice call out through the hall. I turn around from my locker and see the honey blonde walking over, her boyfriend right by her side, his arm around her shoulder.
"Hey." I say as she approaches.
"What are you doing after practice?" She asks as I turn back to my locker retrieving my needed books.
"Um, I don't know why?" I ask, even though I know I'm not doing anything.
"Lip and I are going to go catch a movie and wanted to know if you wanted to join." She tells me with a bright smile.
"Oh, thanks but I promised Frankie I would help him practice for basketball." I said technically it wasn't a lie cause I did promise Frankie I would help him, but it will probably be tonight when it's dark. We usually practice at the park at night cause no one else is there and the court is lit up and we have the court to ourselves.
"Oh, okay. Maybe next time?" She asks
"Yeah, sounds good." I reply. I see the hurt wash over her face and I instantly feel bad. She quickly plants a fake smile on her face looking up at Lip who then pecks her lips.
"Well, we better get going." She says
"Okay, see ya." I say giving them a smile, and they disappear into the crowd of students.

I gather my belongings, and head towards Algebra II. I take my seat in the back next to Casey. Right as I take my seat, the bell rings indicating class has started.
"Do your homework?" Casey asks
"Nope."
"Not good. You will fail." He says teasingly.
"Nah, I'm passing all my classes and I haven't turned in one homework assignment. I have all B's. As long as I continue to pass the tests, I'll be fine." I say proudly opening to a fresh page in my notebook, prepared to take notes.
"Hey, how are things between you and Maura?" Casey asks
"Um, good. She been spending all her time with Lip." I say mocking his name.
"You really don't like him do you?"
"I don't like the way he treats her."
"What do you mean?"
"I just feel like she can do better. He is such a big trouble maker. I feel like he will get her in a lot of trouble."
"Jane, they seem very happy. Maura is smart, if she doesn't think it's right she would break up with him."
"I know, I know. I just--"
"You like her." He says
"Yeah." I truly confess.
"It's okay, Jane." He says patting my back before focusing to the front of the class.

After school, I go straight to the girls locker room. I throw on my school jersey over my black and blue sports bra. I throw on my basketball shorts followed by my socks and shoes. I pull my black untamed curly hair into a high ponytail, then headed towards the court. I grab an orange basketball, dribbled it a few times before tossing it in the hoop. I walk over to half court where the rest of my team is. Coach split us into two teams and we start practicing for our next game. An hour and a half into practice and it is time to practice blocking and stealing. Coach shows us tactics and techniques, which I already know  due to my previous years of playing.

After practice, I don't bother changing out, instead I meet Barry outside of the locker rooms.
"How was practice?" He asks
"Good. We have our first game this weekend." I reply
"That's cool. Tell me the time and where, I'll be there." He says
"Thanks. Wanna go to the coffee shop?" I ask
"Yeah." He says. There is a small coffee shop on the corner of the street. Me, Barry, and Casey always hang out there. Not a lot of people go there, especially after school. The busiest time is in the morning before school.