Chapter 9

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take." - Unkown

Jane's Point Of View:

The weekend goes by quickly, and before I know it, my alarm is screaming at me to wake up on a dreary Wednesday morning. It was almost like Monday and Tuesday hadn't even happened, because nothing  had happened. Homecoming is on Friday and I have no date. But it's chill because me and my friends are all going as a group. I get out of bed and do my morning routine. Hailey asked to see me before school in the quad today, so I'm scared as to why she wants to see me. A part of me hopes she wants to ask me to Homecoming, but another part of me just wants to go alone in case Maura changes her mind mid-Homecoming and we go off into the sunset on a white stallion. Of course, I know that we won't actually be going into the sunset on a white stallion because for one, the dance starts after the predicted sunset and two, I don't have a horse.

When I arrive at school, I meet Hailey in the quad. She's sitting on a bench patiently waiting. I take a seat next to her and she gives me a smile.
"So why did you want to meet up?" I ask trying to get to the point.
"Just wait." She says, looking down at her watch. At exactly 7:27, confetti rains down from the windows of Miss Roche's class and my favorite song, Sometimes by Ariana Grande, plays from the speakers. A small group surrounds us, watching what's happening. Following, not even a minute later, is a majority of the Student Body. Maura, Devyn, Barry, and Lip scooch their way through, and I see them from the corner of my eye.
"Jane," Hailey says, taking out a Ring Pop from her pocket. I'm wondering how the hell I didn't notice it before, and also why it isn't broken because she was just sitting on a bench. In my mind I'm doing the Dafuq woman emoji. I then decide to look back at Maura- I mean Hailey, and listen to her. She asks me the one question I was so dreading.
"Will you go to Homecoming with me?"
I can actually hear my heart drop, and then speed up. A blush paints my cheeks rouge. Sighing, I nod and take the ring from her. I reply, "Yes. I will go to Homecoming with you."

Maura's Point of View:

I stand there shocked at the scene taking place before my eyes. I'm kind of hurt that Jane said yes to Hailey, but I realize she isn't my property or my girlfriend, and Hailey had the right to ask her since I didn't. I can't watch the scene any longer so I simply walk to class. I take a seat next to my blue haired friend.
"I just realized you don't know my name, but I know yours. So, hey, I'm Ethan." I smiled and shake his hand, trying to forget about Janley.
"Hi." I reply meekly, trying to sound as happy as possible. Obviously, it doesn't work and Ethan can see right through my pitiful facade.
"What's wrong? Is it because your girlfriend just agreed to go to homecoming with the new girl?"
"She's not my girlfriend!" I snap, hiding my face from my tormentor.
"Not yet." He teases. I shush him before the bell rings, and we both get our notebooks out.

Class goes by surprisingly fast. I am on my way to second period, making sure to avoid Jane at all costs. I successfully reach Forensic Science without seeing Jane.

                     ------------------

Next thing I know, I'm in English, seated next to Jane with the utmost tension almost choking me. I keep my head down despite the fact I can feel eyes on me. Like wolves spying on their prey before making their move. Luckily enough, we're watching a movie and the rule is no talking while we watch.

Jane's Point Of View:

I'm kind of glad Hailey asked me to homecoming. I mean I much rather go with Maura but I'm trying to get rid of my feelings for her. And if I'm with Hailey hopefully my feelings for Maura will fade. After school, Devyn insisted on taking me with her to go shopping for homecoming.  I think she was asked by Lip, but I'm not sure. We go to the mall and Devyn insists we go to the most expensive dress shop. Ernie, the homosexual store owner, meets us as soon as we walk in. He's a super stereotypical gay guy, who's way into fashion and he talks like a Valley Girl.
"Ooh, hey ladies! Got a date tonight?" He asks, Devyn and I shake our heads and laugh at the balding, yet still trendy, old man.
"Nope. We've got Homecoming tomorrow."
"Fabulous! Would you ladies want any help picking a dress to match your men?" He then makes a sound that sounds like clearing his throat.
"No. We just wanna browse. Our parents will pick it up on their way home from work."
"Okay, well if you need any help just let me know." We nod our heads and start looking at the dresses as he sashays away. Devyn holds up many in which I decline. I then see a navy blue v-neck dress with lace sleeves, that has a shiny belt around the waist and splits into two fabrics, one shimmery and see-through and the other a plain navy blue. I look at the low back and immediately look at Devyn in distaste.
"Other than the back, I think it's a beautiful dress." I say and Devyn clicks her tongue. She replies, "It's a gorgeous dress, Jane. And I think you could do with a look that's a little bit less..." She looks me up and down in attempt to find the right word so I wouldn't be offended. "Modest." She finishes, picking the dress up. Before I can say anything, she interrupts by saying, "Hup! Don't even. What size are you?"
"I'm a two." I tell her and she grabs size two and shoves it into my chest. I put the size one back and my eyes land on another dress. I go over to the other rack and hold it up for Devyn to see.
"For you." I say and she grabs it.
"It's perfect!" She squeals holding it up to herself.
"I think we should try these dresses on." Devyn says smirking and I smirk back following her into the dressing room. We put the dresses on and look at ourselves in the mirror. Devyn admires the black dress with a sweetheart neckline, which lays below a pattern of three V-shapes, two mesh and one of the same black fabric that made up the dress. There is a black circular piece of fabric that wrapped around her neck. At the waist, there's a mesh strap that separated the top of the dress to the bottom.
We both take off our dresses and Devyn places her empty black purse on the seat and shoves the dresses in them. We walk out being as normal as possible.
"Hi, we found the dresses we like. They are still in the dressing room. Our mom will be by later to pick them up." Devyn tells the man.