I

PICTURE OF JADA ON THE SIDE. **I don't own any rights to this image.**

FEB 2021 UPDATE, PLEASE READ:
Hello everyone! With this novel gaining more attention in the past couple months, I just wanted to just let everyone know that I wrote this novel when I was fifteen and it is entirely unedited. There was no set structure when I wrote this, so there will definitely be mistakes, both grammar and punctuation wise, but also in regards to timing/plot/character development/etc. I don't expect to NOT receive any criticisms - in fact, constructive criticism is beneficial for me - but I ask that you be kind. If you don't like the story, that's okay! It's not for everyone. But some comments I've received are gruesome, and that isn't the vibe I'm cool with in my comment section :)

I will begin editing in the next few weeks, and edited chapters will have 'EDITED' at the beginning! All chapters will stay up, HOWEVER, content may change as I go through, so this is something to be aware of. I, similar to many of my readers, am not entirely content with the ending, so after many years, I will most likely be changing the final five or so chapters. The novel may even extend slightly if I find it necessary, but I can't say for sure at this point.

Thank you all so much for the support, I appreciate it more than I can say.

Enjoy.
---+---

JADA

I jerked my left wrist, allowing the gold bracelet wrapped around my skin to release. I grabbed the end and the bottom of the whip hit the tiled floor with smooth slap.

Julian grabbed the handle of his dagger and the blade shot out an an incomprehensible speed. The blade, sparkling a deadly silver, glinted in the florescent lights above our heads. The corner of his lips curved up in pride before he turned his hazel eyes on me.

"Your parents called the apartment again," he informed me, his deep voice husky with concentration. We began to circle each other slowly, not willing to be the first to strike, but not wanting to fall victim to an attack.

"Delilah's brother called the apartment again," I shot back, curling my wrist so my whip dragged circled the floor at my feet.

Julian's eyes flashed. "I guess we all have our demons," he responded curtly before running forward and twisting his upper body so his blade would reach me.

I stepped back and flicked my wrist out, wrapping the gold around his ankle and pulling my arm back. He fell on his back but rolled swiftly out of the way of my whip's lash.

He had subtly spun behind me and raised his dagger, but I ducked and sent a swift kick to his abdomen. He stumbled, but didn't fall, bouncing back at me as smoothly as he dispersed.

We continued for almost twenty minutes before a familiar group of individuals entered the training room. We both stopped our training and turned to face the group respectfully.

The Council leader, Gabriel Caine, broke the deafening silence. His piercing blue gaze found Julian's and then he turned to stare right at me. He was an undoubtedly attractive man, early forties, thick dark hair and a sharp jaw. The only downfall was the unfortunate fact that he was a major asshole.

"Julian Cartridge, Jada Warren. Our most prized fighters. We have a proposition for you both." His bright gaze fell onto Julian's dagger before he continued. "We will give you time to change and meet in the Council Chamber, you have thirty minutes."

The Council, consisting of eight members, turned on their heels and left just as swiftly as they arrived. Gabriel was the official head of the Council. The second member was no other than his wife, Katherine Caine. The third was a man by the name Nicholas Marks and his brother Theodore Marks. They were identical twins in charge of the more financial aspect of the Council. The fifth and sixth members were well known enemies, Veronica Dunley and Celeste Ross. They had hated each other since their younger years at the Academy for Hunters, for reasons unknown to most. The seventh member was Micah Harrison, the most terrifying man you will ever meet, in charge of the training system. Finally, the last member, Hope Caine, the youngest daughter of Katherine and Gabriel. She was two years younger than Julian and I, eighteen, and her position in the Council was unknown to me. She was promising though, or her parents would have never chosen her out of their six children.