II

Picture of Julian above. Again, I don't know who he is, but isn't he handsome? Enjoy.

---+---

JADA

"Is my outfit too hot?"

Julian tilted his head as he examined me, hazel eyes twinkling against the bright lights of the airport.

"You look hot," he responded smoothly before turning his gaze back to the book he was reading. I sighed in exasperation at his oblivious behaviour.

"No, not like that. I mean, are my clothes too hot for the weather?"

Earlier this morning I had decided to wear a white and beige striped romper that ended mid thigh with a pair of nude ballet flats. I kept my hair straight and down and didn't bother with makeup as I usually never wore it anyways.

Since it was only March and we lived in Toronto, Ontario, I had thrown a light leather jacket on over my romper so I wouldn't freeze to death from the journey from our apartment to Hawaii.

"The only thing lighter than that would just be a bathing suit. I think you're okay," he spoke without glancing up from the book he was so deeply entranced in. I scowled at him but continued to sip my coffee and scroll through my phone until we were called to board our direct flight.

It was already seven and we had been at the airport at five. Julian, not being a morning person in any way, had slept in the cab to the airport and immediately after we'd checked our luggage in, grabbed me, climbed into a sleeping pod, and fell asleep with me shoved into that confined space.

When he had finally woken up around 6:45, we got up and made our way to Tim Hortons to grab some food and some coffee, or else he would have probably crawled back into a pod and slept until our flight. 

When our flight began to board, both Julian and I stood up and made our way to the correct area. Since this was a mission paid for by the Council, we were seated in first class, and therefore treated like absolute perfection.

"Do you think they will serve us champagne this early?" Julian asked me under his breath when we got to our seats. I was at the window and he was in the aisle, though he didn't seem to care too much.

"I'm not sure," I whispered back. My eyes travelled to the small airplane window and I watched the twinkling lights on the wing sparkle against the sunrise.

Julian went back to reading as I watched the sun slowly rise above the horizon. I heard the pages of his thick novel turn every few minutes, and I found the sound calming. I let out a sigh and snuggled back into the comfort of my first class seat.

The pilot spoke through the speaker and was quickly followed by one of the flight attendants. She went over the safety procedures that only the minority actually listened to. Everyone was directed to put on their seat belts until the seat belt light turned off and we were safely in the air. We did as told and the plane began to turn toward the runway.

By the time the plane began to move and pick up speed, the sun had completely risen and the morning light caused the pilot to turn off the lights along the side of the plane.

When we picked up enough speed, the plane began to rise, and the wheels were pulled back into the plane.

I watched until the clouds completely enclosed the plane, then I turned to glance at Julian. He had fallen asleep again, his right cheek resting against the small table and his book still clutched in his hands.

I pulled the book out of his grasp and put his bookmark in. I plugged my earphones into my phone after putting his book away and turned up my music before leaning my head against his back and falling asleep.