XXIII

An incredibly short chapter, but it needed to happen. Three updates in one day, the end is near!

JADA WARREN

There were wolves fighting wolves and wolves fighting humans and humans fighting humans. And there was a lot of blood. Without a lot of time, I grabbed the closest soldier from Isabelle's pack. When he saw my face, he blinked in recognition, but I didn't have any time to explain my own situation. I shoved the baby into his arms and he took her, watching me for my call. "Get the hell out of here and make sure she gets to the pack house safe. Bring her to the pack doctor. You are in charge of her until I can get back, do you understand? Go!"

He took off running in whatever direction he came from, looking back to make sure no one was following him. I thought of the Luna on the medical table back in the building and made a silent promise that I would keep her daughter safe, even if I couldn't be with her. It was the least thing I could do for that poor woman, who didn't even get to see her before she was killed ruthlessly.

"You took my fucking baby!" Jared snarled at me, his eyes a bright shade, indicating his wolf was present. "A pregnant Luna, how lucky for me! She was going to carry a pup that I would raise! And you took that fucking baby away from me, Jada. You can't even take her place, you're a fucking Hunter. Worthless until turned."

He lunged at me, swinging claws towards my face again, as if I didn't already have claw marks dragging on the right side of my face already. Despite the blood loss and the torture I'd endured, the adrenaline of the fight surrounding me kicked in, and I ducked, elbowing his shoulder out of his socket when he'd missed his hit. He howled, grabbing his shoulder with his opposite hand and hissing in between his teeth. Knowing it wasn't his time, I slipped away from him and maneuvered around the clearing to find Julian.

I found him on top of a collapsed wolf, Julian's dagger dug deep in between the dark brown wolf's fourth and fifth ribs. He pulled it out and the wolf let out a whine and stilled, thick blood sticking to their coat. Julian caught my eye and it took me no time to see the anger and resentment in his gaze.

"Isaac," he spit out, turning so we were back to back. A rogue charged at me and I wasted no time is flicking my whip around their neck and pulling. I heard a satisfying crunch as their neck twisted at almost ninety degrees, and they dropped to the ground, allowing my whip to slither out from under their weight.

"It was fucking Isaac. He put all of us in danger." He was talking between attacks, his tone breathless and still overwhelmed with anger. "I let him in and he does this. He may as well have plunged my dagger into my back himself."

"How'd you find out?" I asked, dodging an angry punch from a naked rogue. A sleek whip to the throat had him on the ground, eyes rolling backwards. I heard my best friend grunt behind me, and I knew it wasn't because of the fight, he was beyond angry.

"His phone buzzed when he went to the bathroom. I checked it, whatever. A text from the same number Isabelle's been calling to find you? I went through the messages, it was everything we'd told him, everything he knew. He texted Jared the minute you rolled out of the driveway to reach the airport. Fucking traitor."

"Where the fuck is he?"

"In a cell at the pack house. Isabelle will deal with him when this is over. Why the fuck were you holding a baby ten minutes ago?"

He grunted again and I twisted around to help him fight off the two wolves that were snarling and leaping towards him. Now side by side, I snickered. Julian and I had fought side by side, exactly like this, on so many occasions. The entire situation was scarring for anyone else, but it felt natural to fight beside him.