{17} Asking

-Dedicated to P. Happy birthday, girl-
~~~
She loved like no other
But it wasn't enough for him.
It was never enough.
And that wasn't her fault.
-Unknown
~~~

They were walking through the park, hand in hand, observing the scenery. The moonlight shimmered around them and the sounds of the city quietened slightly. Cassie had a smile on her face, something Scott knew that he'd never get used to.

"I should get going." Cassie said sadly, pouting at her date. He chuckled and kissed her lips, sucking on her lower lip.

"Come back with me." He murmured, hearing her breath hitch. "Just stay with me tonight."

She glanced at him with wariness but when she saw that he held nothing but sincerity and hopefulness, she agreed.

The drive back to his penthouse wasn't too long. Scott remembered when he got this penthouse, it was on his 17th, a few months before his mom died. They wanted him to have space because he was growing up but it took his mom a whole month to get over the fact that he's leaving home. She cried. And Scott would always come back to her.

He parked the car outside the block and led Cassie inside and into the elevator. Her arms were wrapped around his and as he glanced down, she couldn't help but smile once again.

The elevator doors opened to the penthouse, an absolutely breathtaking home. The view was perfect, the room was perfect, the home was perfect. She smirked as she walked a head, taking in the home with an impressive look.

"I have to say, I'm impressed." She said truthfully.

Scott chuckled and walked into the the open plan kitchen which was a joined to the living room. There he brought out too wine glasses and a champagne bottle. She took a seat on the couch, placing her clutch on the coffee table, as Scott walked walked over to her. He sat besides her, placing the champagne and the cups on the coffee table, pouring the content into the cups.

"Here," He said as he handed her the cup. She gave a grateful smile before taking it.

"You've been living here alone?"

Scott nodded. "Since I was 17. I've been here for a year and a half now. But enough about me."

She raised her eyes. "Oh?"

He smirked. "Tell where you've been living for the last three years." Her face fell and in a much softer tone, he asked. "Why did you run?"

She knew he was going to ask but a part of her was hoping that he wouldn't ask when they were alone because now she can't avoid it whereas if they were in public, she could. But Cassie knew she couldn't say, not yet.

"Like I said before, rumours got out of hand." She sipped on her glass and looked away.

He watched her carefully before sighing. "You know you can trust me."

Her head snapped towards him and she narrowed her eyes slightly. "I know."

Putting his hands up in mocking surrender, he gave her a goofy smile. "I'm here for you, no matter what."

She didn't smile but only kept her eyes on him, fear rang through her body like a symphony. Finally understanding that she was not going to say anything, he placed the empty cup onto the coffee table before standing up.

"Do you want anything?" He asked and walked away in disappointment. Cassie slugged her shoulders, so sad that she couldn't tell him the truth. She exhaled shakily before inhaling sharply and standing up, placing her cup besides his.