Chapter 6 The Lake

A/N: I just want to say this is typed through my phone so it may be short and may have many mistakes. I apologize for it. Have a magical day.

I stop running when I see a beautiful lake, my feet aching with pain. I looked at my reflection in the lake, the sight startled me. My hair was now undone, my eyes dull and lusterless. I look at body, my dress now ruined and dirty. "I need a bath," I whisper to myself. An idea popped into my head, I let my hair down and undressed. I jump into the water, which I must say was cold! The water embracing my naked body, holding my breath and sunk down. Waiting for my eyes to adjust to the water and when they did I was in awe. The beautiful colors that radiated from the sparkling fish, the colorful corals. Running out of air I quickly swam up. I gasped I flipped my hair up that was all in front of my face, my hands covering my chest. I swam to the shore and grabbed my dress and began to scrub, cleaning it to the best of my ability.

After I was sure it was clean enough I laid it out on the top of a rock pile, letting it sun dry.

After about an hour I carefully came out and put on my undergarments. Although I really didn't want to wear the stupid dress, I wore it. I sat at the edge of the rock pile and let my legs fall into the lake. I don't know for how long I was there sitting thinking of what my life was back home when I was rich. The beauty, the clothes, the money, the popularity all that once clouded my mind. They felt almost like distant memories like they never happened. I watch as the sun sets, colouring the sky with beautiful pinks, oranges and reds. I've always watched sunsets but never quite like this one. This one was happy and gloomy like if it was predicting the chaos tomorrow will bring.

Tomorrow, that was something that had lately scared me. Tomorrow is a scary thing, not knowing what will happen. Not knowing if I'll make it through the day. If I'll eat or sleep. Most importantly if I'll ever see my family again. The thought of not seeing my old mother, the one who loved me more than her own life. My father who didn't hide his sorrow through a smile. My old parents that would sing me to sleep. Will tomorrow let me see them? Or will I lay here forever? Will I be trapped alone and in danger?

I couldn't help but feel alone, without anyone to hold me. To tell me that everything was going to be okay, even if it was a lie. I'm afraid, but I have to be strong.

I lay my head lazily against the rocks as I hear a sweet soft melody dancing in my ears. I frantically stand up to see someone at the other side of the lake, she was also swimming in the lake, her hair long and red, absolutely beautiful. I was quickly pulled in by her melody so sweet, so motherly, so hypnotic. I walked up to her, her back on me.

"Hello," was all I could mutter. She turned around revealing the face of the gorgeous creature I saw from afar. She smiled and just like a melody said a "hello." I shyly walked closer, only to discover she had a tail. A beautiful sparkling turquoise tail, like that of a fish. I gasped in surprise, she blushed. "Oh yes I'm a mermaid." "I'm sorry I really didn't wish to offend you...," I started but interrupted by her laugh. "No no don't worry... Wait. You're a human girl." She said shocked. Did she just notice now?

"Why yes I am," I giggled. She quickly began to search around frantically. "You... You shouldn't be here. He'll kill you," she whispered quietly, clearly concerned of someone listening. "Kill me? But why? Who?" I asked now more baffled than before. "The little human monster... He'll kill you," was her only response before disappearing into the water.

What was that all about? I watch the water, waiting to see if she would come out. I had questions that I knew only she could answer.

I waited and waited, but she never came out of the water. The sky was getting darker and I was still lost. As I turned around I heard leaves rustle. I look in the direction of the sound. I look around trying to find with what I could use to defend myself. Finding a fallen branch amongst the surrounding trees, I raised it up. My hands shaking with fear. Right there the bushes' leaves we're pushed apart by... One of the lost boys.

"Thank goodness I found you," he sighed "what are you doing with that stick?" I never felt more happy in my life to see another person. I quickly ran up to the young child and hugged him. Although I didn't want to go back to face Peter I also didn't want to be alone in the dark forest.

Especially not after what she said.

Who wanted to kill me?

And why?

*at the camp*

As I walked into the camp the boys ran around frantically, almost as looking for something precious. They all stopped when they saw the boy and I walk in. They all looked at each other and sighed in relief. "Alice thank goodness you're alright," a boy hugged me. It took me a while to recognize him to be Peter. As we parted he asked someone to bring me food "hurry she must be starving." He turned to me and held my face in his hands, my heart fluttered.

He smiled and held my hand leading me to his quarters. "Peter...," I started but was cut off by him kissing my cheek. I stiffen not knowing how to react, I merely laughed nervously. "P-Peter," I managed to stutter " do you have anything I can wear?" He smirked and chuckled "I see you finally realized how annoying that dress is." He wrapped his arm around my waist showing me to his closet. "Pick anything." I looked and frowned it was all the same, which meant I'd look like Peter. I sigh as I grabbed an outfit, I turned to him and pointed to the exit. He ignored my command and sat on the bed and said "my room remember?"

Fine. I thought as I grabbed the outfit and walked out and looked around. I saw Felix helping one of the boys start a fire, he looked up to me, smiled and waved. I watched him walk up to me, "hey princess what's that?" I blushed at the nickname and whispered "Peter Pan gave me this to change into." "Ah do you want to use my room to change into?" He grabbed my hand and dragged me into a small shack and closed the door behind me. I was alone in a room decorated with grass and sticks. The only thing giving off light inside the dark room was a small candle like thing on a table. Giving the house a rather peaceful aura.

I looked at the clothes and bit my lip. If I was going to live here I might as well dress the part, right?

As I sighed I grabbed the clothes, time for a change of look.