Chapter 7 The Magic of a Flower

I walked out of the shack and felt all eyes on me. I looked around to see everyone staring at me, I stood there shyly looking at the ground and smiled. "Well I see that my clothing look better on you than me," I heard someone chuckle. I turn to my right to find Peter leaning against a tree, I blushed and punched his shoulder. "Be quiet will you?" I laughed embarrassed, I could feel my cheeks flare up. "That was a quite terrible punch maybe we should train you," said Peter mockingly. I gave him a quizzical look, clearly confused. Train me? For what? Then it hits me, he obviously meant to fight. I only hope he was messing around and was not serious.

I walked to one of many logs that surrounded the campfire, sitting cross-legged. My wavy chestnut brown hair was currently not braided and cascading down around my face and past my shoulders. My hair was fairly long which is one reason it was always in a braid, it tends to get in the way of things when I try to do something. Another reason was my grandmother, she would always nimbly braid it and weave beautiful flowers into my hair. My heart clenched at the heart breaking memories, oh how I missed her so. I let out a sigh and played with the ends of my hair, twirling my hair around my finger. I could still feel the necklace around my neck, which was queer since I have gotten used to it being there. Which meant I always forget its existence. It was hidden like it had been since it was given to me, it was discreetly hidden inside the shirt Peter had lent me.

Speaking of which.

I turned to face him, he was sitting at the log next to mine, which was only for one person unlike mine. It was taller than the others, clearly meant for him to "overlook" or to imply his leadership. I hadn't realized that he had noticed me looking at him. He only smirked, causing my insides to turn clearly this was no good sign. I quickly look away turning to everyone in front of me. All the boys seemed to be eating food, except me and Peter who also looked over the boys. I felt someone grasp my shoulder, I turned to find a tall boy with hazel eyes and black hair handing me food. I smiled a 'thank you' as I took it. I looked down, it was mostly berries and nuts. Then there was something I take was meat. I noted to myself not to eat that. I slowly inspected each berry, looking for anything off. "Just eat them," groaned Peter, clearly annoyed with my inspection, causing me to jump. "I can't trust you," I muttered, hopefully he didn't hear. I really did not want to displease him.

I ate quietly, watching the boys talking while those who were done practiced their sword fighting or hand to hand combat. I cringed as a pair of boys stopped their session covered in blood. I heard slow clapping to my right and saw Peter, admiring the boy who clearly won. "Well done! Now why don't we have our new addition give it a try?" He said smirking as the boys encouraged him. I wonder who this new person he's talking about. "Alice! Come here," he turned to me his hand reaching out, clearly meant for me to grab. I coughed as I choked one of the berries I was currently eating. My heart froze, me? Why me? "W-what," I stuttered nervously "why me?" He chuckled "If you're part of us you gotta fight. Keep your weight... To hunt...gather. "

"I don't like fights," I simply say in a matter-of-fact tone "I am not going to be forced to do something I don't want to do." Peter raised an eyebrow clearly he had never had anyone here give him attitude. "Alice I don't think you understand," he said in a calm voice "you don't have a choice." I sneered, "I don't want to and you will not be able to change my mind." Where did this unknown part of me come from? He was now standing and walked over in front of me.

"Alice don't you dare talk to me like that!"

"oh I can give you any type of attitude I wish."

"I'm warning you... Do as I say or else!"

"Or else what? You don't own me."

"I kept you alive! I can easily kill you myself."

"Well why haven't you killed me yet! I didn't ask you to keep me alive! I'll never do what you say."

I felt something hit my cheek with much force, causing my head whip to the right. I looked at Peter, my eyes wide with horror. He hit me. I felt tears interfere with my sight. He must have seen them, because his eyes quickly soften. His hand trying to reach my cheek, earning me to back away with fear. Everyone around us was now quiet, unsure of what could of caused our bickering to increase to fists or rather a slap. I glared at him, at those beautiful green eyes that now I didn't know if I loved anymore.

All I could do at that time was keep my dignity or what was left of it. I simply turned around, walking away into the forest feeling their eyes on my back. Like always my big mouth getting me into trouble with those I love.

I walked toward my destination, remembering the way to the clearing where Felix had carried me too. My hair swinging back and forth, as I with much speed walked away from the camp. How dare Peter assume that I'd join such stupid games! "Although it wouldn't be bad to learn to defend myself," said a part of me that defended Peter. I had been debating the same thing the whole walk to the clearing. Half of me defending Peter while the other half against him. I groan, I knew I should at least try to contribute, the poor boys out gathering and hunting while I sit on my bum all day.

I stop when I realize I had finally arrived to the clearing, the gorgeous flowers seemed to have a mystical look under the moonlight. I sit down grabbing the nearest flower. Holding the delicate flower in between my thumb and my index finger, I twirled it. Watching the petals swiftly move from left to right. I look down and hold my necklace with my other hand. I close my eyes, a sudden cool feeling swirled around me. I open my eyes, the cool feeling lingering on my skin. The wind was calm and couldn't possibly had created such a force around me to make me feel that kind of rush. I look at the flower now, all color drained out of its petals and stem. My eyes widen, what happened? The flower held it's shape but all color had disappeared.

"Alice?" I turned to find a nervous Felix. I smile with flower in hand, "hello Felix." I walk towards him causing him to back away, earning a frown from me. "Why are you backing away?" I whimper. "Your back!" I frown not understanding what he meant. I reached my left hand to my back, my hand stopping in it's track. I felt something soft and smooth poking out of my back, I look up at him "what's going on?"

"Y-you grew wings!"

I felt my eyes feel weird, I couldn't help but blink a couple times. As I looked I saw everything more clear, and things I'd never noticed. I turned to look at the flower I plucked, and saw it had started to grow small roots and was wrapping itself around my arm. I let out a scream, as the flower completely wrapped itself around my arm. I watched as it turned into a purple and white (like the flower's petals) stone-like armlet. It's cold surface pressed against my skin. I let out a whimper, and looked up to Felix who only stood there. Just like me too stunned to move. I finally decided to react after five minutes, "Felix?" He shook his head, as if collecting himself. "Alice... What just happened?" he asked sternly.

The only problem was... that I didn't know the answer myself.