II

{ A/N: I know nothing about plants, I'm sorry. }

word count; 2183

[ O C T A V I A ]

I spent the first half of the day locked in my room. I busied myself with my essay, working on completing it. Even though my dad gave me an extra day, working on it now meant that I had to focus on something other than this morning's argument. I so badly wanted to push the thought from my mind, and having to think hard about the scientific names for plants was really helping.

Octavien was in a foul mood when he left, I could tell by the way he slammed his door, and didn't even say goodbye. Xavier was just . . . Xavier. He never said goodbye to me or Octavien anymore. Just to mum and dad.

I got dressed around noon, slipping on a pair of black pants and a black tank top. Black basically makes up most of my wardrobe. It's the only 'colour' I like.

I then proceeded to eat lunch, by the back door where the sun normally shines. It's the closet thing to being outside as I'm going to get.

The sun isn't really out today, but a few rays seep through the clouds and shine down on the back yard. The clouds are grey; it looks like it's going to rain today. Not that I minded. I liked the rain. And it's not like I'm about to go outside and stand in it. I wish though. I spotted a squirrel climbing up the tree. How lucky it is to be free.

After about an hour of soaking in the sun, I went back to my room and finished my essay. My hand was cramping terribly by the end, but it was well worth it. I grabbed my paper, and slipped out of my room.

My dad's study is a weird place. He's a Geokensis, and he works at the medical research center located near the capital. He works with the plants. The whole room has things growing all around it. It's actually quite beautiful. The different greens and light pinks of the flowers. The dark reds and pale blues.

It's also very dirty in there. There's dirt everywhere.

And I mean everywhere.

Dad is seated at his desk, glasses hanging far down the bridge of his nose, and scribbling furiously in a note book. I just lean against the door and wait, knowing not to interrupt when he's mid thought.

He's got dirt all over his lab coat and leaves sticking out of his hair. I laughed quietly. Mum was always neat and tidy. And dad was just all over the place. My parents compliment each other perfectly.

I remember when dad explained how they had met. They were fifteen, and dad likes to joke around how he heroically saved mum from her imminent death. (Of course, we all know that dad is exaggerating. He's a bit of a chicken.) Mum had been out in the woods, goofing off, playing in the rain, when she had tripped and fallen down a big hill. She broke her wrist and had nasty cits and bruises everywhere. Dad at the time was out looking for a rare plant. I forget the name, but he made it sound so important that going out into the rain to search for it was well worth it. And it was. He found mum at the bottom of the hill, shivering, wet and cold. Mum says it was love at first sight. Octavien and Xavier think the story is extremely cheesy, but I always loved hearing it. Makes me wonder if I'll get to experience love one day.