XV

word count; 2954

[ O C T A V I A ]

"Look what the crazy bitch dragged in,"

I raised an eyebrow at Carter. She just shrugged. We had wandered into what seemed to be a small common room, complete with couches, tables and chairs. There were no windows in the room - in fact, I don't think there was a single window in this whole damn place except for the window showing the cafeteria - and the room was pure white and blinding. Sitting on one of the couches in the far corner of the room was a girl.

She looked extremely angry.

"Hello, Freda." Carter said, plopping down next to a girl with short blonde hair, and deep, stormy, blue eyes. Freda turned her head.

"What. Do. You. Want?"

"Freda, meet Octavia. Octavia, this is Freda." Carter smiled. Freda eyed me.

"New kid?"

"Yep."

"You're doomed."

"Thanks." I replied, sarcastic.

"No problem."

"Freda's been here for . . . seven years now." Carter said, standing back up. "She knows a lot about this place."

"No one cares, Carter." She snapped. Carter rolled her eyes.

"Have you seen anybody else today?" She ignored Freda's tone completely.

"No." She scoffed. "And if I had, I wouldn't tell you."

"Don't be mean." Carter pouted.

"I'm not. I just don't like you." Freda settled back into the couch. I sighed, and stepped forward.

"Carter, come on." I said, grabbing her by the collar of her shirt. I wasn't a big fan of Freda and I hadn't even been in her presence for five minutes. I wonder if this was what school was like, and I'm guess this is how some of the people treated Octavien. "Let's leave the bitch alone."

Freda's eyes were on me like an animal eyeing it's prey.

"What did you just call me?" She growled.

"You heard me." I turned on my heel, pulling Carter with me. Carter glanced at me nervously, a 'what are you doing' kind of look on her face. I looked over my shoulder at her.

"If you don't want me to call you one, don't act like one." I shrugged. "It's that simple." Freda scowled.

"I'm not a bitch."

"Could've fooled me."

"You're crazy," Carter said as we exited the room. "Nobody ever talks to Freda like that. They're too afraid of her."

"I don't like her." I stated. We turned the corner. "I could have done without meeting her."

"She's not so bad." Carter sighed. "She's just upset. Apparently - I'm not really sure if this is true, I'm just repeating what Zach told me - but, apparently the capital murdered her family and framed her for it." She dropped her voice to a whisper. "She's got something against the people working here, and it doesn't matter how nice a person is to her, she hates everybody. Don't take it too personal." I nodded silently.