XI

word count; 2189

{ A/N: shit's about to go down. }

[ O C T A V I A ]

"How did you manage to sneak out of your house undetected?"

I sighed for the thousandth time. "I don't know." I was getting tired. He seemed hell bent on getting an answer for this question because he'd been asking it for the past hour.

It was the first and last thing to ever leave his mouth. Each time I replied with I don't know, he asked it again. That was pretty much it for the conversation. The only thing I had learned was that his name was Sargent Logan White and that he didn't like me.

"Octavia," he said, folding his hands in front of him. He rested them in the table. He looked frustrated with me. Hell, I was frustrated with him. We were both wasting each other's time. "I'm going to ask you one last time. How did you manage to sneak out of your house undetected?"

I leaned back in my chair. "I. Don't. Know." I enunciated every word.

"Octavia, do you understand the consequences that will follow if you don't cooperate and answer every question truthfully?"

"No, I don't. And that's most likely because I never leave me house. I'm not taught the same thing as all the other kids, I don't know the rules that apply outside of my house. And for the answering part, I am telling you the truth. I don't know how I got outside. One moment I was sitting in mg bedroom and the next thing I know, I'm in the middle of the fucking forest."

"Watch your language." My dad mumbled under his breath.

"She's obviously lying." One Sentinel said, gripping the gun in his hand tighter. It made me uneasy. I'd heard about guns and seen pictures of them, but I've never seen one up close. One that could potentially be used on me.

"I'm not lying." I said. "You're just to thick in the skull to see it."

The Sentinel stood up in a rush and pointed his gun at me. I back up, knocking my chair to the ground, and pressed myself against the counter. My dad stepped in front of me, protectively.

"Daniels, lower your gun."

"But sir-"

"Lower it. I'm not done with her yet."

Daniels lowered his gun with a huff, and resumed his seating position. "Take a seat Miss Rowan."

"I'll stand," I told him confidently. He frowned.

"Your parents told me that you saw one of your father's coworkers get killed before the incident happened. Is that correct?"

"Yes." I said.

"And you didn't think to mention it to anyone. You didn't think to tell your father right away?"

"I wasn't sure if what I saw was real." I said. "Some plants cause hallucinations. I didn't know she would actually die. I thought my mind was just playing tricks on me."