V

word count; 1805

[ O C T A V I A ]

I didn't get much sleep that night, my argument with Xavier running through my mind. For the first time over three years, I heard a little bit of concern in his voice. It confused me greatly. Xavier and I went from being close as could be, to hating each other; not being able to stay in a room together without fighting, to him showing concern about the people in the real world. The only human interaction I've ever had is with my brother and my parents, so I get that going outside may cause some concern. Hell, I'm terrified. But that still didn't stop the confusion. Why was he so concerned about me all of a sudden? To be honest, it scared me.

My dad was knocking on my door early the following morning. I awoke with a start, nearly falling off my bed. The knocking on my door continued, almost seemingly getting louder. "What?" I groaned, letting my head fall back on the pillow.

"Up and at 'em." My dad yelled. I looked to my nightstand. To ensure that Rosie didn't get out and get herself killed, I put her a glass jar. I gave her a look as she crawled up the glass.

"He's crazy!" I hissed.

"Come on Octavia, rise and shine!" I groaned again.

"This is why I'm homeschooled."

I shuffled out of my bedroom, almost tripping on the way into the kitchen. Thankfully, someone caught my arm. "Morning sleeping beauty." Octavien laughed. I glared at him.

"Shut up." I grumbled.

"Easy there tiger, no need to get feisty."

"It's too early for this shit." I whined.

"Welcome to our world." Xavier said in passing. He grabbed and apple and headed back down the hall. I scowled.

"He's kinda right though. This I'd what we deal with on a daily basis." Octavien explained.

"But you don't have school today." I stated.

"I know, but with career day approaching-"

"That's not till next year. Stop worrying."

"Just- let me finish." He said. "They're preparing us. Based on what we can do, they train us in multiple fields. But uh, I'm not looking forward to the last one."

"Why? What is it?"

"Everyone goes through military training. If you do well in that field, then they tend to recruit you, regardless of whether or not you wanted to be in that field."

"Oh." I simply said. I could see why that was a problem. Octavien was a big softie. He may look all tough with the black clothing but he's the sweetest thing ever. The thought of war scared him greatly.

"I'm thinking about failing." He said. "On purpose."

"Tavien,"