XVI

word count; 2011

[ X A V I E R ]

"Octavien, get up." I said, shaking my brother roughly.

"Go away." He groaned, rolling over onto him stomach. He pulled his pillow over top of his head.

"Octavien," I huffed. I grabbed the covers and yanked them off him. He groaned again. "Get out of bed now."

"No."

I rolled my eyes. "Octavien, seriously, come on. Get up. Or you'll make yourself sick." He didn't budge. I sighed. I sat down on the edge of his bed. I looked down at my hands which were rested in my lap. "I know you miss her." I said. "I miss her to."

Octavien removed the pillow off his head and rolled back over. He sat up and placed the pillow in his lap. He looked terrible. His hair was everywhere, his eyes were red and had dark bags under them. I knew he hadn't slept in days.

Days. She'd been gone for days at this point, and we hadn't heard anything from anyone. I didn't want to believe her, when she said that they weren't bringing her home. But she was right, and the last time we saw her was before she climbed into that van. They never brought her home and mum almost set the house on fire.

Jonah had stopped by everyday since, just to see how we were doing. We weren't doing so great. Octavien wouldn't come out of his room, he wouldn't eat. He stopped talking. He was taking it pretty hard. Octavia and he had gotten closer over the past years. Octavia were close and then we drifted apart, but that was my fault. I pushed everyone away.

I wish I hadn't pushed my brother and sister away. Maybe if I hadn't, Octavia wouldn't be were she is now. Locked up in some loony hospital.

"It hurts." He said. His voice was raspy, and dry. He sniffed, and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I know." I mumbled.

"Why her?" He asked, his voice cracking. "Why did it have to be her, why not somebody else!" Tears trickled down his face.

"Octavien," I sighed, and moved closer to him on the bed. I pulled him into me.

"She doesn't deserve this." He cried.

"I know." I said.

"Why can't we see her! Where did they take her!"

I bit my lip. Maybe I should tell him. Then again . . . maybe I shouldn't. Octavien was known for jumping to conclusions and coming up with absurd ideas. I didn't want him to get into trouble either if he decided to go snooping around and asking questions that shouldn't be asked.

I could see that he was pain. That he was suffering badly from not knowing where our sister was. "If I tell you . . . you can't tell mum and dad." I whispered in his ear. Octavien eyed me like I had just grown a third head. Silence hung over us, the only sounds were our breathing. We seemed to be having a silent conversation, but I didn't know about what.

"How d-do you know where she is?" He asked, quietly.

"She told me . . . before she got into the van."