XII

word count; 2144

[ O C T A V I A ]

I kept my eyes locked on the steel door that held me prisoner in the small room. It was dark inside, the only light came from a tiny barred window up high off the ground. It was freezing cold in here, I could see my breath; white wisps swirl around in front of me.

I can hear heavy footsteps pacing outside the door, and the occasional voice here and there. But there are no signs of my family.

After blacking out, I couldn't remember anything except for waking up in this tiny cell. I was alone. I couldn't see my parents or my brothers, there was no sign of them anywhere. I was utterly alone. I didn't have Rosie and that terrified me. Where could she be? Had they taken her and run some crazy tests on her? Was she dead?

I wanted to go home. I wanted to be back in my house, curled up on the couch with a cup of tea, reading a book. I didn't ask to be like this, to be locked up in a cell like some girl with an illness.

I don't know how long I was in that cell, but it was a long time. Nobody came for me. Nobody talked to me. Nothing. Just the sounds of footsteps pacing back and forth and the sound of my own breath to keep me company.

"Octavia."

It was late when Jonah came for me.

"Octavia, get up." He shook me gently. I had fallen asleep on the cold floor. My back ached, as did the rest of my body. Oh how I wished to be in my own bed.

"Jonah," I began. He helped me to my feet, and I leaned into his side. I was exhausted. "Rosie's gone." I mumbled quietly.

"It's okay. You'll see her soon." He whispered.

"What?" I lifted my head a little too quickly, and stumbled. "Where is she?"

"She's safe." He said, and I believed him. Jonah placed his hand in the small of my back, and led me out of the cell. I covered my eyes from the blinding light.

"Where are my parents?" I asked. "Where's Xavier and Octavien, are they okay?"

"They're fine," he said. "I'm taking you to them right now."

"You are?" He nodded. "Can I go home Jonah?" Jonah pulled my arm away from my face. Bright lights invaded my eyesight. I blinked a couple times.

"Keep your arms down by your side. They'll think you're trying to hurt them."

"Who will?"

"Everyone around you."

We passed multiple girls dressed in white uniforms, who seemed to cower in my very presence. "Octavia, I want you to listen to me very carefully." Jonah said, as we turned down another white hallway. "You're not going home." He said.

"I'm not?" I asked, panic filling up in my chest.

"No. That's what they want you to think. Don't repeat anything that I'm about to tell you."