Chapter 5

Caden’s POV

“What do you want?”

“When are you going to greet me like a normal person, little bro?” Logan’s voice questioned from the receiver.

“So you don’t want anything?”

“Only to hear how your first day went.”

Let’s see, I started to enlist in my head as I kept on walking back to the apartment building. I could barely keep my eyes open because I stayed up all night since Alice had a nightmare about that son of a bitch who shot her, my teachers worked me like a slave and I got into a quarrel with a reckless redhead who I met at cemetery a few nights ago.

“Fine,” I replied instead.

“Any hotties in that place?”

“I have Alice,” I reminded him but an image of a pair of brown eyes, specked with gold and green flashed before my eyes.

“Don’t look at me like that,” I heard from my mobile.

“What?”

“Sorry, bro; that was for Morgan. She glared at me when I asked about the hotties. She says hi, by the way.”

“Yeah, right back at her.”

My brother paused and I had a feeling I was not going to enjoy his next words.

“Dad also says hi.”

I knew it!

I knew there was more to this call then a “hey, bro, how was your first day?”

“He’d like to see you,” my brother went on cautiously. “He’s sober, Cade.”

“I wonder for how long…”

“He told me it’s been four months since he touched a bottle.”

“Oh, sure; if a drunkard say he hasn’t been drinking, it must be true,” I snapped back.

“Hey, if I can quit,” I heard him gulp. “If I can quit the drugs then dad can quit the alcohol.”

“He’s not you,” I noted quietly, slightly awkward that I was the reason for Logan to bring up his addiction.

“Cade, you promised to give dad a chance. He wants to prove that he’s changed so he’ll be in town for a while. Come visit or give him a call… Please!”

I sighed.

Yes, I’d promised to give Gavin a chance. It had been one of the resolutions I’d come up with at Cillian’s pub.

“I’ll think about it.” It was all I could promise right now.

“Thanks,” Logan replied with relief. He had probably expected me to cuss at him, hang up and then avoid him like the plague for the next few months. That was exactly what the old Caden would do… But not anymore; not since I met my Alice.

“Hey, I got to go now but I’ll talk to you soon, okay?”

“Sure,” I answered and he ended the call.

Oh, what a day! Bad things and unpleasant situations just kept piling up. What else would happen before it’s over?

“Hey, are you alright?” An unfamiliar blonde asked me just as I was about to enter the apartment building.

“You seem kind of stressed,” another girl, who had the same hair color, added. I noticed both of them were carrying cardboard boxes so I figured they were moving in. Only one week was left before the school year at Aberville University started and this building was filling up. Two familiar heads popped up before I could respond to our new neighbors.