Chapter 9

Skyler’s POV

“And that is how I learned to use the GPS on my phone,” I beamed at my big sister and her boyfriend as I finished my narration.

“Well, at least some good came out of the Miley story,” she muttered before speaking louder: “You know you’ll have to thank him, don’t you?”

“Thank who?”

“Keegan. And I don’t mean just because he taught you about the GPS; he’s your new me.”

I gave her a puzzled look.

What was she on about?

“I think what Beth means to say is that she used to take care of you before and now Kee is the one doing that,” Ash clarified for me. “He’s acting a lot more responsible when you are around. Maybe he’s trying to bring some balance because you are so…”

“Careless? Idiotic?” Beth suggested helpfully.

“I was going to say ‘childish’.”

“Point is Keegan McNeil is your new babysitter,” my sister stated.

Hmm, perhaps they were right; he had been very helpful since we moved in together.

“So what are you going to do about it?” Beth inquired. “You should really do something nice for him to make up for all the trouble you caused.”

“Hey, I’m not that much of a handful!”

Both she and Ash rolled their eyes.

“But I admit that I should give him a proper thank you. And I know just how!” I grinned happily.

*****

“So why did you insist we came to this particular café?” Kee asked, taking off his jacket and placing it on the empty seat next to him. I planted my butt at the other end of the table, opposite my roommate.

“Because they have your favorite type of coffee - mixed with hazelnuts,” I replied, proud I’d come up with such a good treat for the boy. As my sister had said earlier today, I had to make amends.

My companion furrowed his eyebrows.

“How did you know it was my favorite?”

“Alice told me.”

“Oh!”

His face changed from confused to thoughtful. He seemed upset. What had happened? I brought him here so he could enjoy himself, not to ruin his mood.

“Is something wrong, Kee?”

“Alice told you.” He stood quiet for a bit before sighing and going on: “And she knows it’s my favorite because I told her when I brought her to a café that I really like back at home. I took her to that place when…”

“When you had a thing for her?” I finished, feeling guilty I made him remember that. Beth was right: I kept messing up lately.

“I still kind of do. Not like then, but…” He leaned back in his seat and covered his eyes.

“We can order something else. Or go somewhere else,” I proposed, hoping to elevate his mood at least a little. “We haven’t even ordered yet…”

“Nah, it’s okay.”

As if on cue, a waiter came up to us.

“Hey, guys,” he smiled friendly. “What can I get you today?”